Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next couple months, I plan to setup my 29 gallon again (moving out of an apartment in which aquariums have been banned). I've had multiple setups in this tank over the years, including a SA community tank and a Malawi style tank with a small school of powder blues. Right now, I'm seriously considering another african tank, but I'm not sure what I want to do.

I'm really liking the Johanni cichlids right now. I think a single male with 3-4 females in the tank would make for a nice color combination with the contrasting male/female colors. In the same hand, I really don't want to deal with all the fry. That got to be a real pain with my last tank, as those fish were breeding like crazy. I couldn't give the fish away fast enough. That brings me to my question.

Is there anyway I could do just a community of different species males in this tank? How many? What species? I already plan to do a DIY background and use a Fluval 404 or two Fluval 204 (or equivalents) for filtration, using only the first tray for mechanical filtration and the rest for biological filtration, be it with bio-balls or ceramic media.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Too small IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem is, I won't have a chance to really go any bigger until I finish paramedic school and get out on my feet into a house which I own. I've got just over 1.5yrs of school ahead of me and it'll take me a while to save a down payment thereafter.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
If 29 gallon is all you can have, then get a group of Pseudotropheus saulosi or a group of Labidochromis caeruleus. The tank is too small for johanni.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the Pseudo. Saulosi. A fish that size would be much more manageable in the 29g. Any recommendation as far as how many? I'm planning on doing plenty of "rock work" with the foam/concrete method used for backgrounds if that helps any.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I think that foam and concrete background would take up to much space in the aquarium.

If you go with labs or saulosi won't you have the breeding problem again (trying to get rid of fry)?

Have you thought about those small shell dwelling cichlids?

Or what about Neolamprogene brichardi? They aren't very colorful but I think gorgeous fish and the tank is the right size for them. I think when it starts getting to crowded they start eating their young but normally they raise their young really great. I think black sand, black background, a pretty piece of driftwood, maybe a few rocks and a couple live plants with N. brichardi would be a beautiful tank & I'm going to try it myself one of these days lol.

Let us know what you decide. Then show us pics lol:thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.