Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I posted this message in the general talk but i think it belongs here, so sry for the double post)

So i got tired of my johanni being so agressive towards all the other fish and killing females. I sold them to a guy who already owned a bunch of them.

Now im left with 5 C. axelrodi (1m/4f) that are still breeding like crazy, and 6 trewavasae Chilumba (2m/4f) quite peaceful and colored males, no breeding tho.

Also I use a 20 gallon for the fry.
Now, what i'm looking for is a new 3rd species to live with my fellows in the 55G tank.

I was thinking zebra long pelvic Mdoka, i heard they are peaceful and i know a guy who could sell me a bunch of juvies.

Otherwise I would like C afra jalo reef or likoma, they both look striking with their stripes. Are there others species that you would suggest for their cool temper, besides the L.caruelus and Acei?... they're fine, but just less appealing to me

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Probably not a great idea to mix cynos, especially two types with blue males with vertical stripes.

You might have the same issue (aggression because of similar color/pattern) with the long pelvics, too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Have u ever thought about p. polit? They r alittle aggresive but should do fine in ur tank. The females r alittle dull looking but the males r very striking with alot of personality.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
How about a Metriacliama sp. Msobo? I've found them to be about on par aggression-wise to Labeotropheus Trewavasae.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
never heard of those 2 species before!
ill try to see where i could get them not too far from here!
maybe more the metriaclima msobo, if i get it right they are more likely to be less agressive

anyone else would say that zebra long pelvic mdoka wouldnt go along well with axelrodis?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd say that the similar color/pattern with the c. axelrodi & long pelvic mdoka would end up being an issue in a 55gal. How about Met. Membe Deep ? They're similar to Msobos, but a little smaller & less aggressive. IME, mine are pretty mellow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i decided to go with ps. acei ngara

i havent bought them yet, just thought i'd drop by and ask your advice beforehand

so i would end up with:

5 c. axelrodi 1m/4f
6 lab trewavasae chilumba 2m/4f
10-12 ps. acei ngara, hopefully 5-5 or 5-7. Unless you guys suggest that i go with 4m/8f?
1 ancistrus temmincky

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
The Acei should be no problem to the other fish, except trying to sex them... but 12 Acei seems like a lot in the 55g. 5-6 Acei?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok and what ratio? 3-3 , 2-4?

they are actually between 2 to 4 inches long, so i was thinking of geteting more and then give up the excess to some friend, but they would allow me the get the proper ratios

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Acei are harem breeders just like other Malawi and the females are as colorful as the males. So 2:4 should work, but 1:5 would be ideal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.