Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the peacock a Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi? Maybe Eureka? Does it look like he has potential to really color up?
The fry is suppose to be a Msobo. Does that look right?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Can't help on the peacock. The fry very well could be msobo. Could be a number of other things, too, but I'd say you're probably safe calling it a msobo.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Aulonocara are pretty much impossible to tell apart at that age. Judging from the coloring its starting to take, it could be a jacobfreibergi, but you won't really know until he colors all the way up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
From the picture its hard to tell but I do not believe this is a Jake. Jake's will have white corners on their tail fin, hence the name swallowtail. It does look like a eureka/german red.

The msobo looks to be accurate but you would need to get clearer pictures.

Steve

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
S4surf said:
From the picture its hard to tell but I do not believe this is a Jake. Jake's will have white corners on their tail fin, hence the name swallowtail. It does look like a eureka/german red.

The msobo looks to be accurate but you would need to get clearer pictures.

Steve
Aulonocara "Eureka" are suposed to be a line bred Jake. (Otter Point)
German reds are suposed to be a line bred fish from Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri"( Chipoka).
Swallowtail were Sp. "Caroline" but yep have been popped into Jakes by some folk (though I dunno why)

I think guy is far too young to guess and if from a LFS quite likely to be no pure Aulonocara species or quite a few species/types at this point. Though good that it does not look to have been hormoned to show early colour, fin development and type.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be okay with them being a German or Ruby Red Peacock. They look like nice fish and also a bit smaller than the species I previously thought. I bought it from a reputiable dealer at a LFS in my area so I'll just have to give it a few months and see how he develops.

The Msobo looks like good juveniles. Cant wait til the males start coloring up.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
travisbundo said:
I would be okay with them being a German or Ruby Red Peacock. They look like nice fish and also a bit smaller than the species I previously thought. I bought it from a reputiable dealer at a LFS in my area so I'll just have to give it a few months and see how he develops.

The Msobo looks like good juveniles. Cant wait til the males start coloring up.
Reputable dealers lable should thier fish up right. Yes? So what were they sold as?
Yep I would be very happy if a random Peacock buy turned out to be a German or Ruby Red and I guess it has happened but a random hybrid is far more likely from an unlabeled sourse. Yes?

Even reputable dealers sell cheap hybrids much of the time I think. Only the labelled stuff is the stuff reputations are based on?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. If it's a reputable source, they should have been labeled. Mixed tanks normally equate to hybrids. What did you buy them as?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was labeled as a Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi and purchased for $10. All the fish in the tank looked similiar, some had more red. This was one of the brighter, more distinct fish out of the bunch.

It was a local fish shop that gets his fish from another source every couple weeks and I was not familiar w/ peacocks at all so I wanted to get 2nd opinions.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
travisbundo said:
Was labeled as a Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi and purchased for $10. All the fish in the tank looked similiar, some had more red. This was one of the brighter, more distinct fish out of the bunch.

It was a local fish shop that gets his fish from another source every couple weeks and I was not familiar w/ peacocks at all so I wanted to get 2nd opinions.
No worries mate. I for sure was not trying to be harsh to you. Just Jakes cross with German Reds and it could be one of those.
I tend to like to know what a fish is labeled as, it kind of helps in guessing if it is a hybrid of what it is labelled as. But then a full switch is also likely. For sure I can not tell hybrid from pure much of the time (First generation crosses can look awful like eather pairent I think). It kind of goes with the good bits of buying Aulonocaras, so many are line bred and so many are hybrid and its very hard to tell the difference.

Though no one I know is better at telling em apart than Fogelhund.

I dunno why he reckons its a purish German Red type I hope he explains.
For me it still could be a young pure Jake (line bred "Eureka" etc) or much of what passes for these.

All the best James

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Over the last couple of days all the fins have turned bright red on the peacock. Similiar color to the red behind his head.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
50 days later, heres that peacock. Mature enough to confirm a species or atleast strongly lean one way or another?

Photos are still subpar, sorry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts