Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved this breeding pair from a friend of a friend who told me they were sunrise peacocks but after looking at the profile on this site i dont believe they are. I think they may be Yellow Regals. Please correct me if im wrong. Its hard to see in the pic but the smaller 1 does have a dull yellow through her body.

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
Sorry to be blunt, but those are no way A. baenschi or "Stuartgranti maleri". They are clearly intentional hybrids that have been created for the hobby. The fish vary, and are sold under different trade names. The names are basically made up and there is no rules or convention (so far) on what to call them or what is defined as a "pure" line. Hard to know if all the fry would resemble the parents. No natural peacocks look like that, males or especially females. Female "Yellow Regal" types are mostly brownish with thin vertical bars.

That said, the male is colorful and you may enjoy keeping him. As for a breeding pair, they may breed or they both may breed with other cichlids. Like all Malawi cichlids, it is not recommended to keep them as a pair alone in a tank, as the male may harass the female until she dies of stress.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Yep noki is right as usual. One of the more yellow vertions of this.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1315

Funny I was just discussing with a member by PM about wheather these guys are all the same and have the same behaviour as each other.
And you come along and show just how variable in looks they can be. :thumb:

All the best James

·
Registered
6,748 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help.

The pair are in a tank with other peacocks and a few other cicklids also. The guy i bought them off had a tank full of the fry and they looked very similar to these 2. Since i have recieved them they have had more fry but are only about 12mm long so its hard to tell what they will look like.

If i was to sell the fry to a pet shop should i just call them a Hybrid Peacock?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Good idea or "Sunshine Hybrid Peacock" or "Yellow Hybrid Peacock" or "Sunset Hybrid Peacock" would ensure no one buys em under the impression they are a wild type.

:oops: Just reolised that Ad is under a different name to yours but the same fish I think.
Aulonocara should not I think be in the name as its likely the "breed" came from a Metriaclima estherae (Or pos another Mbuna) x Aulonocara originaly.

All the best James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts