Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to go to the GCCA's April Swap Meet on the 17th, but most of what I have seen on the list are 1" fry. How do I pick males? Am I going to have to keep buying fish after fish until I get a male?

·
Registered
69 Posts
At that size, its very difficult to tell genders. Buy a group of juvies and as they mature, get rid (sell them to a lfs) and keep what you want.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
You are stocking the 125G? Much easier to buy more mature males already sexed.

Buying juveniles would be a really hard way to stock a 125G with all male haps and peacocks. You would almost need 15 separate tanks because many of the juveniles/females all look the same. You would want to raise each species separately for a year or more until you can choose a male.

If you bought 6 individuals of 15 species to get 15 males and mixed them all in the 125G for growing out...eventually the males would be apparent but the females could not be sold as pure because you would not be able to ID them. Many people don't like to euthanize healthy fish. :(

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I'm going with peacock/haps. But now I'm more confused. I thought it was best to buy them as juveniles so they grow up together and do not fight. Also I rather buy them young to save money. sexed males are around $40 each compared to $7 on average.

·
Registered
24 Posts
MandyBlue said:
I thought it was best to buy them as juveniles so they grow up together and do not fight.
I am interested to see the response to this comment. Kind of like how I got my dog as a puppy so it gets along with my girlfriend's cats. I have a feeling that with fish they are much more instinctual especially when food or females are thrown into the mix.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
MandyBlue said:
I thought it was best to buy them as juveniles so they grow up together and do not fight.
MandyBlue- since you're going that route, I would recommend that you do not get juvies that cannot be sexed. I was referring to young males showing partial color. Younger, identifiable males will be cheaper. It's the larger, sexually mature males that cost anywhere from $30.00 and up. If you prefer, you can introduce the larger peacocks and haps as long as they are introduced in a large group.

canlax said:
I am interested to see the response to this comment. Kind of like how I got my dog as a puppy so it gets along with my girlfriend's cats.
Canlax- depends on the breed of dog. :wink:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think the trade show in Chicago on the 17th would have young males? Or am I better off getting them from my local LFS?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
They might, at least a couple. My LFS rarely stock haps. I usually order online from a vendor that advertises sexed males.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts