Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to the local fish store and found a tropheus red chimba in the assorted tank. I have a few questions about this fish. Even though it was in a tank with a electric blue would it be safe to put with mine. I have a 55 gal. Guess it would be best to list the fish and then see what u guys think.
2 electric yellow (male) @3"
1 electric blue (male) @4"
1 bumblebee @4"
2 convicts (female) @2"
1 parrot @2"
1 red tail shark @2"
1 pleco @10"
I am unsure the aggression of the tropheus red chimba I have never had one. I like the color and look to the fish and think it will stand out in my tank nicely. I am unsure how it will do with my other fish. If it's a bad idea then I will get the electric blue they have instead. I am also looking at some OB Peacocks. Would these be a good fit in the tank since most of the fish I have are same or close to the same aggression level as the OB Peacock. I have looked over the stock charts the problem I have is my fish are mixed already even though people say not to mix South. Mine do well together and maybe at full size they won't. At the time I will split them into 2 tanks.

Kind of a long post just to ask if I should put the OB Peacocks and or Tropheus Red Chimba with the stock I have now and still be fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also found a place here that reseals tanks and re-sells them. He has 2 90gal with stand 1 has lid and lights for $225 and the other is just tank and stand but show tank for $200. This seams cheap for a tank set up that size. Does this sound like a good price or to good? And if I got one it would be the show with no lid or lights because I plan on doing no lid with LED lighting. Should I pick it up as long as the silacone is in good shape it should be like new if it's been re-sealed.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The problem with the tropheus is that it is a strict herbivore. Tropheus are prone to bloat and so diet is extremely important. Peacocks are not very aggressive and I don't think they would do very well with that mix, either.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok ty

So would either be ok to put in my tank with Jack Dempsey fry? They are still little only 4 weeks old now. I really like the color of the OB Peacocks and would like to have some. But I don't want to lose any I have or any new fish. If I put the one tropheus red chimba in with the fry would it be ok or will I lose the fry? Will the tropheus red chimba be ok as a only one or do they need to be a colony fish?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Supragsx said:
I also found a place here that reseals tanks and re-sells them. He has 2 90gal with stand 1 has lid and lights for $225 and the other is just tank and stand but show tank for $200. This seams cheap for a tank set up that size. Does this sound like a good price or to good? And if I got one it would be the show with no lid or lights because I plan on doing no lid with LED lighting. Should I pick it up as long as the silacone is in good shape it should be like new if it's been re-sealed.
Supragsx, IMO, $225.00 for a re-sealed 90 gallon is a bit steep.
I were you, check PHX listings on Craigslist. There is a 130 gal. acrylic aquarium for $180.00. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/2446373926.html Obviously it's tall so it's not ideal but if you wait, you'll find a good deal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I am on craigslist every day. I paid $200 for my 55gal complet set new with no stand maybe that's why I was thinking for $200 it's not a bad deal. When I get the time I am going to make my own acrylic tank it looks like it will be a fun experience and if it turns out right good looking as well.

Thanks for advice

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya but for that price I can build my own acrylic with stand and canopy. Well there abouts any way. Lol

The difference is to build it I will be waiting a month or so before it's done set up and ready to add fish and the one u linked is ready use.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Tropheus are harem spawners and do better in groups, like Mbuna. I would bet the peacocks would eat the JD fry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts