Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really sure how to handle my fish issue. I have some major agression going on by one of my male Socolofi. He is bullying every fish in the tank that comes in his "area".. It's only been 10 days and he has one of the fish, I think a Demasoni or a Chalosi hiding up top behind the filter intake.

Here's the list of fish I have in my 55g, Chalosi, Orange Blotch Zebra, Demasoni, Red Zebra, Msobo, Socolofi, Chipokae, Flavus, Maingauo, Cobalt Blue.. There is 21 fish total.

I can't tell you how many of each kind there are because they are all around 2" and hard to tell apart by me anyways.

The main trouble makers are the Socolofi and the Red Zebras. There is minor chasing from a few of the others but it's more intra-species. The Socolfi is going after everything.

I'm debating on taking out the huge castle, even though it has a big tunnel system underneath, I would get more spots if I add a bunch more of the rockwork. Will this make a difference or will I have trouble no matter how many hiding spots there are? They all want to hang out on the right side of the tank. I started feeding them on the left side but it isn't making a difference yet.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Try a complete rearrange of your decor to try and break up territories.
Try putting him in a 'time out' box for a few days to let the others take over his space, then reintroduce him. The idea is that he will then be lower on the hierarchy, and less likely to beat down on a fishy.
You can also send the dominant guy back to the LFS, or take the subdominant guy back to the LFS.

Consider that you have a few too many different fish for there to be peace long term, and perhaps in the wrong numbers for each species (unless you're trying to go 'all male', which might not be a good plan in a 55).

Try getting your numbers straight. Pick your favourite three/four species (I'm not sure whether three or four are usually recommended. Something says three, but I may be wrong) and remove the rest. Then increase their numbers to 8 or so each, and fish out subdominant/hyper dominant males as they appear. Aim for five of each, one male to four females, in the end.

Hope this helps :)

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
I don't think aquascape is going to be enough, Nina_b gave you some good ideas. :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, No I wasn't trying for all male, I wanted a mix of m/f. I'll try to rearrange and see what happens. I'll probably remove the bad guys..

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you want a mixed m/f tank, you will probably continue to have issues with so many different species. Rearrange for sure, but also start thinking about which species of fish you want to keep and which species you will remove. Check the species profiles and look at the cookie-cutter articles in the library to help you. :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts