Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, anyone could help me identifying those ?

And could any of those fit in a 40g breeder, either as a species only or as part of a community of cichlid of the same area/lake ?

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
As discussed in a earlier thread, skip the peacocks for the 36" tank.

1-Peacock
2-Peacock
3-Peacock
4-Peacock
5-Peacock
6-Ram
7-Eartheater. Not sure which one. Some mature at 6" and a pair could work.
8-Peacock
9-Tret or Front. Young specimen. Neither species is good for a 36" tank.
10-Peacock

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darn. It seems like most of the ones that have the look I love are Peacocks :(

I didn't find any Eartheaters of the right size that fits my tastes except the Tapajos, but I believe I could only have a pair and no other fishes with them in my 36"

Thanks for the help identifying these fish groups. I'll continue to monitor the other thread for stocking suggestions!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
OuiBonjour said:
Darn. It seems like most of the ones that have the look I love are Peacocks :(

I didn't find any Eartheaters of the right size that fits my tastes except the Tapajos, but I believe I could only have a pair and no other fishes with them in my 36"

Thanks for the help identifying these fish groups. I'll continue to monitor the other thread for stocking suggestions!
Tapajos can easily grow to 10"+... you don't want them in a 36" tank.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The first 4 are various Peacocks, but #5 is a Gold Ram. This is a South American Dwarf species, tops out around 2.5 inches. They would do well in a planted 40 breeder. Soft water, likes temperatures in the low to mid 80s F.

The next is Geophagus brasiliensis, which can be a relatively large aggressive fish. If by Tapajos you mean the Geophagus sp. "Red Head Tapajos", they top out around 8", though most rarely exceed 6". However, they would need at least a 4 foot tank. There are smaller species, mostly rare, but the fairly common Red Hump is one of the smallest, and behaves like a Malawian mouthbrooder.

Then you have another Peacock, followed by a Tanganyikan, Neolamprologus tretocephalus. Reputation is for being highly aggressive, I don't think you could keep them in a 40 breeder.

Last fish does not look like a Peacock to me, but Possibly a Placidochromis of some sort. Not my area of expertise, however.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Last one looks like a Protomelas steveni taiwan reef.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts