Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new too this kinda i had cichlids as a kid now i want babk in!! im looking to set up a 75 gallon tank with mbuna hap and peacoks am i going too small of a tank? i was thinkin maybe go all male and from what i understand if i put peacoks in with mbuna and hap the the peacok has to be ob peacok? am i on the right path at all lol. any help will be big help!!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'd pick either mbuna or haps/peacocks, then it will be easier to decide on a stock list.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I cant help you but people May look as there curious of the answer thats why i looked lol! Im new to this too and any info that i can find is real helpful :) Enjoy!

·
Registered
363 Posts
nwtwoTHEworld said:
im new too this kinda i had cichlids as a kid now i want babk in!! im looking to set up a 75 gallon tank with mbuna hap and peacoks am i going too small of a tank? i was thinkin maybe go all male and from what i understand if i put peacoks in with mbuna and hap the the peacok has to be ob peacok? am i on the right path at all lol. any help will be big help!!!
You can put any peacock in with mbuna. Some folks won't, but I tend to mix and match haps/peacocks/mbuna pretty freely, so long as the tank size and aggression levels work.

Do you have a particular favorite species? Are you trying to do a few breeding groups or all males? Start there and folks can help you fill in the gaps.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Moku - Are you playing semantics with the word "can"? Because yes, you CAN put a Mel. chipokae/auratus in with a peacock, but you'll likely be audience to a severe beating.

Especially for someone starting from relative scratch, I'd avoid the all-male set up for now. It's a lot of trial and error, you need multiple tanks (or a very lenient LFS), and it requires tons of patience. Mbuna breeding groups = easier.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
nwtwoTHEworld said:
20 views and no comments :(...i need help lol
Just sayin: all caps thread titles don't exactly endear people to help you.
(it's just a behavior I've noticed in years on forums)

·
Registered
363 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
Moku - Are you playing semantics with the word "can"? Because yes, you CAN put a Mel. chipokae/auratus in with a peacock, but you'll likely be audience to a severe beating.
I have 30 tanks in my house right now and currently have about 15 different kinds of peacock/hap/mbuna/Tang fry growing out. Most of my breeder tanks (40B or 50L) contain 2-3 Malawi breeder groups - many of which are groups of haps and mbuna or peacocks and mbuna together. It works, you just need to match the fish's aggression and size with their tank mates and tank size.

Obviously, I'm not telling anyone to put chipokae or crabro or lombordoi in a 30 with a group of dwarf peacocks. I tend to stay away from particularly rotten mbuna (ie: any species that you can't keep a 75 gallon species tank). Not all mbuna are rotten though.

It's even easier to mix single male mbuna into community setups/mostly male setups. The keys are no female mbuna and minimize conspecifics if you want to keep any of the more aggressive species.

dielikemoviestars said:
Especially for someone starting from relative scratch, I'd avoid the all-male set up for now. It's a lot of trial and error, you need multiple tanks (or a very lenient LFS), and it requires tons of patience. Mbuna breeding groups = easier.
I don't disagree with you. I set up tanks at my brother and sister's houses with groups recently. Groups are better because you get to see real behavior. The problem with groups is that you need to have the patience to not grab a random fish whenever you see something cool at the LFS.

Most beginning African keepers: a)Aren't able to resist the temptation of picking up "1 of this, 1 of that" and b)Can't justify dropping $10-$12 each for 6-8 silver haps/peacocks at one time at the LFS for fish that won't color for months. Grabbing one each of full color juvenile mbuna carries more instant gratification - even if it won't work down the road.

Along with you, I encourage the OP to maybe try 2-3 groups in a 55/75. I'm just saying that he shouldn't be scared to throw peacocks into the mix.

I set up my siblings' tanks; one with a large groups of maylandi peacocks and a group of yellow labs and the other with a group of Ruby Red peacocks and Ngara Whitetail Acei. Both tanks are getting along fine with lots of action. No real aggression other than males flexing within the species or going after females. The whitetails may eventually outgrow a 4' tank, but that won't be for quite a while. Again, it's all about matching aggression levels between peacocks and mbuna.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Go ahead and mix and match if u want but if u want it to be a lil easier i would stick with 1 species.Ur going to hear alot of ppl on here tell u what has worked for them,doesnt mean it will work for u,doesnt mean it wont either.If u have the money and want to do alil trial and error then go for the mix,if not stick with 1 is my advice.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
nwtwoTHEworld said:
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!
I recommend reading through the various cookie cutter setups to find something you like. Check through the profiles sections as well to read up on any individual species.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Moku - I hear ya. Unfortunately, most of the mbuna "commonly available" at LFS/big chain stores include plenty of Melanochromis, Kenyi, Crabro, etc., hence my hesitation in recommending that. But yes, totally agree with everything you said. :thumb:

·
Registered
363 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
Moku - I hear ya. Unfortunately, most of the mbuna "commonly available" at LFS/big chain stores include plenty of Melanochromis, Kenyi, Crabro, etc., hence my hesitation in recommending that. But yes, totally agree with everything you said. :thumb:
10-4. I sometimes write replies while I'm back and forth from my desk running around in the office and didn't quite realize I had typed an essay. Sorry about that. :)

But yeah, it's a shame how many folks are discouraged from keeping Africans because of the poor advise/selection they find at their LFS/chain store. It's tough for new fish keepers to get a good setup from the beginning. But at the same time, it's neat how forums like this one give folks a chance to get some good advice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey thanks guy im gonna look into it a bit more but kinda lookin too do hap/peacoks 75gallon maybe a bit bigger. but if i cant do bigger then 75gallong is 75gallon good enuf??? thanks guys again

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
A 75 gallon will work if you research and choose your species carefully. With an all-male hap/peacock tank you will also want an extra time-out tank to hold fish that have to be removed and returned to the fish store. And a fish store that will take the fish for store credit (not all of them will). And be willing to pay full price but get only 1/3 of that back. :thumb:

·
Registered
363 Posts
A good place to find quality local fish cheap would be a local fish club. If you're in Delaware, check out East Coast Cichlids. www.eastcoastcichlids.org.

Not sure how far you are from That Pet Place in Lancaster PA, but they generally keep a really nice selection as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow thanks guys what a big help ....all the info has been a bit over wellming but i think i know what i wanna do. 75gallon or bigger hap and peacok...any more if u think can help plz post

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have not been on here in a while, but DJ Ransome and others gave me some awesome advice in setting up my tank. I also relied heavily on suggestions from the cookie cutter set-up. The tank is doing very well after several months (7).

The veterans on here are generally way ahead of the advice you will get at the fish store. Example: I wanted some dems. Folks at the pet store said to introduce a few at a time. The veterans on here said never less than 12 or you will have a disaster. I went with 15 and believe I probably saved myself a lot of work and heartbreak following the advice given here.

Thanks to all who helped me out! I'm really enjoying my tank.

Best wishes for your tanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts