Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just recently set up a 75-gallon tank with very good filtration and all of the works and have just got 2 small Oscar fish. The problem that I'm having is that I don't know how much to feed them without overfeeding them. So far I have just been overfeeding them because I can see all the uneaten food on the bottom of my tank and an almost cobwebby like substance over the uneaten food. I have 1 albino oscar which is 3 inches long and another Oscar which is around 2.5. I have been feeding them Spectrum cichlid pellets that are about 1mm in size. I am lucky that I have 2 powerful filters but I'm scared that I'll kill my fish if I don't get this under control. In addition, I've only been able to feed them twice a day because I am not home for most of the day and when I feed them the first time at 5:00 am they don't eat it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The cob web stuff is most likely a fungus that's growing on the uneaten food. You should be able to vacuum this out. I used to feed my fish every other day to maintain a good clean tank. With Oscars maybe just once a day. Just think about them being in the wild, they don't have access to a whole platter of food. They have to hunt, ambush etc... to eat. They are not always successful and may go awhile without food.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You can't overfeed an Oscar, because they simply don't do obesity. But you can over feed a tank if they don't eat the food. Oscars aren't keen on dried foods. I'd switch to meaty foods like whitefish, small prawns, worms etc. You should find they eat it all then...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.