Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a really good deal on a 240 gallon acrylic set up a few months ago. Heres the deal the tank was originally drilled on the bottom with 8 holes ( looking about an inch in diameter) they plugged these holes by adding a sheet of acrylic on the inside of the tank on top of the holes. The problem is by doing this they pretty much made the tank impossible to filter ( the top of the tank only has 2 small cut outs for maintenance and whatnot).
I want to do a sump set up on this tank since canister filters and power filters are out of the question. I would like to unplug some of the holes if that is possible. Ideally i would like to get about 900 gph through the sump.... but since there are so many holes i could maybe do 2 sumps with smaller pumps. I'm more leaning towards one sump because 1 pump is cheaper than 2 but I'm sure i can be convinced otherwise. Any thoughts on how to get this going?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I'm assuming they plugged the holes permanently using acrylic solvent to attach the pieces over the holes. Just redrill the holes and add bulkheads. Depending on the size of the holes, you may need all eight. They may have had four drains and four returns. But that doesn't mean you need two sumps. Four drains can go into one sump just fine and four returns can come from one pump, so one sump is fine, no reason for two.

Are these holes within overflows? All of them, some of them?

What size diameter were the original holes?

What size piece of acrylic covers them?

A pic of the overflows, holes, and plugs may be helpful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts