Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a group of these fish as elongatus jewel spots. And as they have matured the more I look at them I don’t think they r jewel spots so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what they might be or if they r indeed jewel spots and maybe I’m wrong. I’ve had them for months now tho so they aren’t just juveniles.
Vertebrate Water Wood Insect Fish

The one on the top left with the blue and back I have 6 of. This guy is the only one showing real color atm the other r mostly just a bland grey. And I just don’t see the elongatus jewel spot in him? I’ve seen him shake and try to breed before and his breeding color just get more vibrant and if anything the darker black gets more white.
Pet supply Fish supply Wood Fish Marine biology

Now this guy is a little smaller and I bought them from the same online store but at a different time later to get more females hopefully. To me he more looks like a jewel spot with the black on his fins and everything although he is a bit younger. I did contact the online store a while ago and they assured me they were both the same fish and both were elongatus jewel spots just they had one group that was lighter and one group was darker and when I order at two different times that I must of got the darker ones the first time and the lighter ones the following time. But to me the first bigger male just doesn’t seem to be a elongatus jewel spot while the second picture of the smaller possibly female looks a lot more like an elongatus jewel spot? Was just wondering if someone could maybe shed some light on it or had any ideas thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I do notice i guess a little yellow ish at the top but it’s no where near as defined as the one in the video you sent but it could still be becuz of this guy not being fully mature yet. That is def a possibility tho. Although it’s body shape is more longer and not as tall or cuticular but that could be me reading into it too much and it’s still young in age

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water Wood Landscape Bedrock Electric blue

Bedrock Organism Wood Water Formation
Organism Bedrock Wood Marine biology Terrestrial animal

these r some pictures if they help and I can try to get better pictures of them all if needed or of the others ones. These r definitely the less dominant ones and don’t show as much color usually at all. I think most of them are actually males as well if not all of the ones I got are males which would be kind of a bummer but idk. Any additional info ab these fish would be great. Thanks so much already!

·
Registered
9,230 Posts
Zebra/ Cynotilapia juveniles all tend to look similar, but I don't see how they confused them with Jewel Spot Elongatus. Ask the seller if they have had "Red Top Gallireya Zebra" in stock. The male in the video is a big and fat adult.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts