Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so today around 6 i bought a bicolor 500 peacock cichlid. the fish store had him in there basement because he is a show fish, photographers from all over were taking pictures of this cichlid. i brought him home and aclimated him properly. in my tank i have 2 jewel cichlids and a yellow lab. long story short, i left the house to help a friend with car audio troubles. when i was gone my usually temperate yellow lab, absolutly dimolished the bicolor. i found him face done in a plant gasping hard with almost half of each fin chewed off. i immediately took him out of the tank and put him in my community tank. hes not going belly up, and hes swimming "decently" but you can tell hes having trouble.

im not sure what im really asking, i think i just need some advice and closure that hes going to be okay, he was absolutly stunning when i bought him and still is in his condition. he is deffinitly one of a kind. what can i do to keep him alive, is there anything?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would post this in the health and illnes forum, that way you will get the ppl who really know their stuff answering you with good advice.

If it were me Id dose with some melafix/pimafix, turn the light off on the tank, and just let him rest until I got some advice.

Good Luck and hope it all works out for ya! :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did, i needed help urgently so i posted in this coulumn and the illness. sorry if i offended rules. and thank you i will turn my lights off immediatly. i do not have melafix/pimafix but i will buy some if needed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Melafix would be a good start and water changes will help him recover. Pay close attention for signs of infection. Good luck.

Just curious how you know the Lab is the one that went after him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not exactly sure, but hes the dominate male in the tank, and when i first put the bicolor in he was chasing him a bit. im assuming it was him. i may be wrong but i have no idea since i was not home at the time.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Did you rearrange the tank while putting him in? That seems to help alot, as everyone loses their territory.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would buy him a hospital tank of his own. And perhaps the tank you planned for him will not be the best...are you sure it was not the jewels? If spawning, they have more of a rep for this type of thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hes doing alot better today. i didnt think about rearranging the tank, that sounds like a really good idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts