Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6-ft, 125-gallon tank with sand substrate and an arrangement of river rocks that are probably no more than 6-8 inches above the sand. I have a few spots where the detritus settles instead of getting sucked up by the filter intakes.

My tank runs on two Sunsun 304b canister filters. Left side intake is about 6 inches above the sand and the right side is about 2-3 inches above the sand, both probably just a few inches from the sides of the tank. The outlets are both near the surface and can be adjusted in any direction. I also have a circulation pump (fan only - no filter) that is currently on the right side pointing a little down and towards the front of the tank.

I need ideas on how to direct the flow to maximize the chances that the most stuff gets sucked into the filter intakes, but also avoid moving the sand around so much that the glass bottom shows. Currently have about 16 haps/peacocks and 4 bottom feeders.

Thanks in advance -

·
Registered
216 Posts
DIY spraybar or another powerhead.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also have a 125. Along with the circulation from my Fluval FX 4, I run 2 Hydor 1150 powerheads. One is at the opposite end of my filter output, pointed toward the top to create surface agitation. The other is at the same end as my filter output positioned midway down on the end of the tank but pointed straight to help move waste along toward the filter intake. Also, my filter intake is only about 1" above my sand substrate. I am still experimenting, but so far this setup seems to work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I forgot to mention, my powerheads are on a timer so they turn off overnight so the fish can rest better without so much current.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.