Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... I have a electric blue hap that has been sick with what seems to be bloat for about 2 weeks. He first showed signs in the tank by isolating himself, spitting food, increased breathing, and white feces. I put him in a hospital tank and started the regime posted on this discussion board for treating bloat with clout. It really did nothing, I had no signs of any improvements. Then I read another regime which stated to use clout at full strength 5 days, then give a 2 day break. If the fish isn't better then to do another 5 days, and keep repeating. The fishes belly has been extended as well. I am just wondering how long it takes to cure bloat? and if there is anything else I can try? Also how will I know when he is better? I am fairly new at this and have never had a sick fish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
IME, clout is probably the strongest & best medicine for bloat; especially when fish are already bloated. I'm not familiar with the clout @ full strenght for 5 days, but I'd continue with clout & epsom salt. You'll know your fish is better when it resumes eating normally(no refusal or spitting) & is no longer bloated(obviously) . It's a good idea to treat the main tank with metronidazole & to be safe, some soak the food in metro for fish that are still eating .

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Maybe try epsom salts for a mild laxative?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
In the Library it says "a handful" for every 10G. I googled to find something more precise, and I found 1-3 teaspoons for every 5G. FWIW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's eating now and his feces seems to be normal, I added some epson salt but he's still bloated, any other ideas what I should do?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I don't think it's an overnight fix. See if the bloating goes down at all after a week. If he is eating and has normal feces his health is probably good. Not sure what might cause bloating without other symptoms...except maybe an overweight fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts