Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a OB Peacock that developed a small discolored spot on its face a couple of days ago. I's not fuzzy looking, but its slightly raised just below and just behind her eye.. This morning I noticed she has also developed what can best be described as a white pimple about the size of the dot a sharp pencil would make on her gill. when she is facing me the "pimple" sticks out about a 1/16".
This could not have happened at a worse time as I'm expecting a fish delivery today!

She is eating fine and is not flashing. The only aggression in the tank is one of my males will chase her for a short time and I attributed the original discoloration spot as a possible injury from being chased

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: between 5-10
PH 8.2
Temp: 78

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Possibly just an injury but I'd keep an eye on it and probably up my water change frequency.
What are the tank dimensions and the rest of the stocklist? What's your water change schedule?
Keep an eye on it for now, post if you see more spots or the current ones become larger or turn red or develop white/gray fuzziness.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tank is four ft x 13 in x 20 in.
My stock is not ideal hence the new fish coming today
1 cobalt blue
1 RZ
1OB peacock
1pleco

I've already been told about the incompatibility of the mbunas an OB peacock but as I mentioned above, the only aggression are the short chases occasionally.
I'm adding fish today togive the cobalt other fish to chase.

Just to be on the safe side I put the OB in a ten gallon and I'm going to give the higher temperature and aquarium salt technique a try

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the OB has been in the 10gal since Friday at noon. Added 6tbsp of aquarium salts over the course of the day Friday and slowly brought the temp from 78F to 86F. The white"pimple" on his gill is gone but he still has the discolored raised spot by his eye. If the white "pimple" was the beginning of ich, would it have gone away in a 1 1/2 days? I may have panicked by isolating him. but I thought it was better to be safe then sorry.
I added my new fish on Friday to the 55g and there is some territorial posturing going on with the Cobolt Blue chasing the new fish around relentlessly.
Should I leave him in for the recommended 10 days of should I slowly drop the temp and put him back in the 55g and hope that my main tank has settled down by then?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Keep him in your 10 gallon for 10 days just to be safe. Monitor your other fish carefully. It may have been nothing but you don't want to possibly make it worse had it been the beginning of ich. If you see any white dots on the other fish developing and flashing you might as well add your peacock back and treat the entire tank. 86 - 89 degrees worked for me with 2 tbs per 5 gallons of salt. Treat about 25 percent of your water every few hours to allow the fish to adjust to the salinity. But let's hope that it wasn't ich.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To update- on Sunday the 20th I was second guessing my move to put the fish in a hospital tank as the white pimple went away in two days and he seemed fine, so Sunday night I started dropping the temp. By Tuesday morning it was 84 and I noticed another pimple on his lip and a piece of skin that was peeling from it. I turned the temp back up to 86. After a water change, I slowly added salt to get to a 1tblsp per gallon. So its been six days since then and no more pimples but he still has peeling from his mouth.

Tonight I added Jungle labs parasite clear as a last resort. :-?

Am I doing the right thing? Is this a parasite? I thought it was ich but I haven't read about the peeling skin?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Likely not parasitic, possibly bacterial or fungal or it could simply be an abrasion. Keep an eye on it for now. Your salt is on the high end, normal salt/water is around 2-3 tablespoons per 5 gallons. Maintain plenty of surface disruption for good O2 transfer. Also, keep an eye on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels, perform regular water changes and be sure the replacement water is of the same salinity and temperature. The fish is eating ok?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm leaning away from an injury as the peeling skin on his lip came 3-4 after putting in the hospital tank but I may be wrong.
He didn't eat for the first 4 days or so, tried to feed him just didn't seem interested. On a few occasions he would take the food in his mouth and spit it out. The last 2-3 his appetite has been great, but I've limited him to 3-4 pellets a day.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I did the parasite clear last Sunday night. My work schedule did not allow me to do a second treatment in 48 hours as I was gone tuesday am to thursday night. On thursday night I did a 25% water change and noticed she was holding eggs. Its obvious that they are not fertilized as she has been alone in the tank for 2 weeks. This tells me she must be pretty health now. Is that a good assumption?
The white spot and the peeling lip skin are gone.
My intention is to slowly drop the temp back to 78f, Do a couple of more water changes to get rid of the aquarium salt because I don't use it in my main tank, and when she gets rid off the eggs, put her back in the tank.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts