Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** been doing a lot of research. *** had aquariums before but never cichlids. I like a lot of the malawi cichlids but have been partially convinced to go SA/CA. I like the more rocky look that most african tanks have.

I have a 29g bowfront. Its 24"L x 21"H. Could i actually house african cichlids in here. *** been searching for the past couple weeks but cant get a straightforward answer.

The tank has biowheel 200, and a undegravel jet system. it also has a 3d background i made that takes up some of the tank. But there it still a good 25 gallons maybe of space in the tank. It has a sand substrate. I would have got a aragonite sand but at the time i didnt think i should go african

Can somebody give me some ideas. *** been at the LFS and they really arent any help at all and its one of the best in the area (Hidden Reef in PA)

In reality id like to have one or two cichlids and a school of some other fish.

OR SHOULD I GIVE UP ON THE IDEA?

·
Registered
350 Posts
i not going to say for sure but maybe just maybe a yellow labs. a 24" is the size of a 20g high. but if it a 29g 30" i might say 3 yellow but that is pushing it. 40g + you can keep most of the african cichlid.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
One or two mbuna? That's iffy, but I guess it's possible. You could keep 2 males that look NOTHING alike and get no larger than 6" (even that's pushing it) with a school of praecox/australian rainbows.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GoofBoy said:
If you dumped the undergravel system you could do some shell dwellers (like Multies)or small Julies (like Julidochromis marlieri (Gombe)).

Haplochromis sp. "Ruby" should also work even with the under ground jets.

Pelvichromis pulcher should also work.

Unfortunately ,I there aren't any Malawi fish I would be comfortable recommending in a 24in long tank.

Good Luck.
im not a fan of shellies. well the tanks *** seen of them i dont like. i dont like shells all laid out. and i really dont want to dump the ugj because with the background id really like to have some water movement. its not a very strong pump and has too outlets directed each side of the tank. so it shouldnt be too strong at all. but enough to move the water around and it will help disperse the heated water as the intake is next to the heater.

i realize there isnt any malawi but i figured id ask anyway. since i find them more attractive then other africans.

both the ruby and krib i was looking at today. i think they are possibilities. any suggestions on tankmates for them? i really enjoyed the school of tiger barbs i had in the last tank. that possible?

·
Registered
350 Posts
tiger barb should be fine with the krib. as the krib like the bottom of the tank more awhile the tiger barb are mid to top. not sure about the ruby. i have keep kribs with neon tetra and angelfish before they not as aggressive to their tankmate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well *** read they are pretty aggresive, well when they are spawning at least. but i think a group of tiger barbs will be able to occupy themselves. the tank will be pretty well planted and have caves. one is prebuilt in the diy background i made and im in the search for rocks that match it to build more

·
Registered
350 Posts
if you planning to breed the kribs make sure your water ph is at 6.9 or 7.0 this way you will have the same ratio of males n females offspring. if ph higher then 7.0 u get more males n lower then 6.9 u get more females. i forgot which is which but yeah.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
vtech yo said:
and i really dont want to dump the ugj because with the background id really like to have some water movement. its not a very strong pump and has too outlets directed each side of the tank. so it shouldnt be too strong at all. but enough to move the water around and it will help disperse the heated water as the intake is next to the heater.
I read undergravel filter my bad. The shellies/Julies/mbuna etc dig alot and an undergravel filter then becomes useless.

vtech yo said:
both the ruby and krib i was looking at today. i think they are possibilities. any suggestions on tankmates for them? i really enjoyed the school of tiger barbs i had in the last tank. that possible?
Barbs would be just fine with either.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GoofBoy
no problem. i finally got my sand in. going to slowly start adding water tonight. and i gotta figure out how to prime the water for this powerhead. that might be a mess. its a submersible maxijet that i had but im mounting it outside the tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts