Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently upgraded from a 40 gallon breeder to a 75 gallon. I don't think all of my males are getting along like I would want them to. There were some females in there but I did take them out and put them in the 40 and so now the only thing that's in the 75 is males. This is what I have n the 75:
Males
Aulonocara Peacock:
blue peacock x2
OB peacock
sunshine peacock
Yellow lab x2
Otopharynx Lithobates x2

They are all the same size, with the sulfur heads being slightly bigger. It seems as though the 2 blue peacocks fight with the OB the most!! Then that seems to get everyone riled up. I'm still new at this so all the help and as little criticism as possibly is appreciated. What do I need to change, add, delete?? I took about s 4 minute video of their behavior but don't want to bore anyone. But if you want to see it let me know and I will figure out how! Thank you and sorry for long post

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
james1983 said:
You need more fish and need to get rid of any duplicates. Try to end up with about 10-12 fish.
Plus one. I would also get rid of the OB peacock since it is part of the problem and has mbuna blood so they tend to be more aggressive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense about the OB.
I know you get this question a million times, and I've scrolled through trying to figure out what to get, but what suggestions do you all have to add? Thank you again for the help!

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
What is the species of the blue peacock?

I'd add timid haps and peacocks and maybe more yellow labs...for those you can do multiples and females so 1m:4f will work.

You could also do 1m:4f Pseudotropheus Acei...also a mbuna but peaceful unlike the OB peacock.

For peacocks, you could add a rubescens for red...avoid the hybrid dragonblood and strawberry etc.

For haps Placidochromis electra is always good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
**I'm replying from my phone, so I'm not sure how to turn the images the correct way. Plus I'm not tech savvy

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Avoid additional blue peacocks. Better to buy your fish from a reputable shop or online vendor that gives you the complete scientific names.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Those blue ones are probably Fryeri mix hybrids, Fryeri tend to be more dominant than pure Aulonocara.

You don't want fish to get beat up or have most the fish hide in the corner but males are always going to fight to some degree, especially if you have many similar males together.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
james1983 said:
You need more fish and need to get rid of any duplicates. Try to end up with about 10-12 fish.
So just to clarify, when you say get rid of duplicates, I should re-home one of the blue ones and one of my sulfur head?
Could I add a Ngara Flametail (Mdoka Yellow) and Eureka Red Jake (Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Ottor Point), and Hap. Sp "All Red Kyoga". I am looking these up online, and like the colors/looks of these. I would just need 2 more suggestions.
I'm writing all this down too, so I don't ask a million of the same questions.
Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I would rehome one Sulphur head and both blue peacocks (since they are hybrids and likely to be aggressive and actually ARE causing aggression.

The Ngara would be OK but avoid any Jake as they are larger and more aggressive. For a red get a Aulonocara rubescens...they are friendly like your other fish.

The hap you mention is from Lake Victoria, not Lake Malawi. You could try it but know that Victorian males often do not color up well in all-male tanks so his color may end up being disappointing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts