Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have 4-5 pair cichlids in my tank. and other normal fish like barb sucker and other catfish.

now one pair of my cichlid got involve mating and now the female cichlid has eggs in her mouth.

I know it will take 2-3 weeks to hatch the fry out. what should i do with the female.

Should i keep it in this tank or should i separate from this tank.

right now i separate that lady cichlid from other fish in the same tank so it will get the same temperature and same water flow.

here are some pictures i took.

The left side one is female and the right side one is male.
can anyone tell me what is the name of these cichlids?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have never raised fry but since no one has answered, I will give you some limited info that I have read on here. You may want to remove the female if you have a spare tank to keep her from getting harrassed and if you are truely interested in keeping the fry. You may also want to strip the fry from the female at some point. Hopefully an expert will chime in here to give more specific info

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The fish looks like a Peacock hybrid to me.

What do you want to do with the fry? Do you want to start raising them? Do you have extra tanks to do so?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looks peacock to me. You can either get a tank divider or if you have another tank laying around you can put her in there. Once she spits the fry remove her and raise the fry. Research best ways to raise fry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for replying..

I already divided my tank by a glass. as you see on the picture. so the female cichlid is separated i guess. but as the glass is transperent all the other fish see here and she also see the other fishes. so is it gonna be problem?

i have separate tank for the female but i am afraid about the heater and water flow..

i think after 2 and 1/2 week i will separate her on that tank. so she can hatch those eggs and then i will remove her.

one question. how long she will take care of her fry after the hatch..

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
She will start eating them after 24-48 hours.

And yes, even with a flow through divider I worry about filtration and heat so I'd move her to the other tank as soon as it is cycled. Not a problem that the fish can see each other, and unless she was being harassed she could even remain with the general population.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i put the female in separate container with heater and filter

one question after i put her over here she sometime try to get out of the water.. do not know why..

2nd one should i turn off the filter. cause it produces lot of waves.

That is my full aquarium

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Is the container like a 10G tank? No I would not turn off the filter. Make sure your 10G tank/container has a lid. And if it is not cycled, test for ammonia and nitrites and change the water as required, even 100% daily if necessary.

If you don't really have a tank for the mom, are you sure you want to raise the fry? You could always let her spit in the tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 10 g container is ok with filter and temperature.

yes i want to raise those fry. I will buy a new tank very soon. But for now i can not.

but if i let her spit those fry on the tank then how can they survive from other fish?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
They cannot survive in the adult tank. I just was not sure if the tank for the mom is a problem, where was the tank for the babies going to come from.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the tank where the female is now that tank would be the tank for fry. I will separate the female when the egg will hatch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally all the eggs are hatched and the baby fishes are swimming freely..

here are the pictures..

I have separate the female fish into the main tank. the fry's are alone in another tank.

now i have question what should i feed those fry's... can i feed them the same dry food that i used to feed other fish?

i know brine shrimp would be the best for fry. but i do not know how to make brine shrimp.

Any suggestion

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Regular fish food crushed fine will work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts