Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've done my research and I know what type of tank/setup that a Oscar needs (a VERY large tank and an even BIGGER filter). My Dad got tired of his 200 gallon salt water tank and I was the lucky one who got it for free (and the only one in the family that even wanted it............can you believe how stupid the rest of my brothers and sister are???). Anyway, I've finally gotten all the horrible salt residue mess cleaned up and everything is back to looking brand new (or close to it) and I went "live" with the whole system yesterday!!! The tank is now in my living room and the sump and other attached filters, etc. are directly below the tank in my basement...........everything is working great and going well...........fishless cycle will start tomorrow.

So all the hard labor is done..............now it's time for the fun part.........I get to start LOOKING for the fish...........I won't be actually buying any fish until the tank is completely cycled. So I need help picking out my new Lutino!!! I'm not interested in breeding and I'm not into any intense aggression, so I will only be buying one Oscar. I have had cichlids in various tanks over the years, but I've never owned any of the real bad boys (mostly just yellow labs, etc.).

Anyway, what do I need to be looking for in picking out a quality Lutino??? I haven't checked out any of the "good" LFS's yet, but I have seen some Albino Oscars at PetsMart (actually, I think they were mislabled Lutino's since they had black eyes), but I don't really know what a "quality" Lutino looks like??? The ones at PetsMart were kind of a creme color with a few red streaks. Should they actually be more white or are Lutino's just a creamy color when they are young (2 to 3 inches)??? Any and all help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks, Jimbo

·
Registered
554 Posts
Step one: Avoid Petsmart if you can.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nina_b said:
Step one: Avoid Petsmart if you can.
Agreed. I was in a hardware store right next door to the PetsMart and I thought "what the heck, let's see what they have". I was surprised that they even had a Lutino. They didn't have any reds or tigers though???

Anyone got any ideas on what I should be looking for in a nice Lutino? Color patterns or anything else?

Many Thanks, Jimbo

·
Registered
369 Posts
for me I think it's a matter of Taste. There are obvious signs for a Healthy Fish but as far as "good"... find one that you like as a juvi and I promise you that as an adult you will be impressed..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigDaddyK said:
for me I think it's a matter of Taste. There are obvious signs for a Healthy Fish but as far as "good"... find one that you like as a juvi and I promise you that as an adult you will be impressed..
OK.........sounds promising..........what you see is what you get!!! That's really good to know and I can't wait to see if anyone has a beauty somewhere close to home!!! Thanks again, Jimbo

·
Registered
414 Posts
if your going with just one oscar, try and get the most aggro one in the tank. i think they make the best pets, as they are not at all shy and will eat just about anything. walk up to the tank and look for one that doesnt run and hide. move your hand up to the top of the tank like a feeding motion and watch for the fish that bowls all the others out of its way to get the prime position... that will be the one u want imo

·
Registered
74 Posts
tranced said:
if your going with just one oscar, try and get the most aggro one in the tank. i think they make the best pets, as they are not at all shy and will eat just about anything. walk up to the tank and look for one that doesnt run and hide. move your hand up to the top of the tank like a feeding motion and watch for the fish that bowls all the others out of its way to get the prime position... that will be the one u want imo
So true. Its also likely to be the healthiest one in the tank...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gentlemen..............thank you SO much for the informative and detailed instructions :thumb:

Really, really good advice. I would not have thought to do that myself. I'll give it a go and hopefully, I'll come home with a winner!!!

I'll update this post when I find the one I'm looking for. Thanks again, Jimbo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts