Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon tank and I currently have 3 bumble bee, 1 kenya african cichilid that is a grayish blue color and one other fish that looks very close to the kenya but it's yellow. I'll be honest its hard to tell if it is a bumble bee or an african. It's seriously that close. And a yellow lab.

I want to add some more to this tank. I have a nice sand bottom, and a good rock layout. What are your suggestions of what to do next?

Also I had more but my tank is open top and I have had some jumpers. Also I had another kenya african cichlied, also the blueish gray color, but it got picked on so much by the other one, it eventually died. (The other one chased it around, over and over over.)

The guy at my lfs said that the mix I had was ok, and that with cichlids it's a game of chance of who will get along with who, etc....I dont' want to spend money on more fish, if they are going to end up chasing and hurting each other. That's a waste of money.

I've also heard two different ways to go about it - one is to stock very low, and the other is stock on the high side and have so many fish that no one really picks on each other. Just curious what the thoughts are on this, and what would be a good stocking option for a tank like mine. Again, I'd really like to add some more fish to my tank.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
It's Kenyi, not Kenya. And Bumble Bee (Ps. crabro) ARE African... The yellow one that looks like the Kenyi is a male Kenyi.

The guy at the LFS lied.

You have three choices. Keep only the bumblebees and get 1m:7-8f total OR keep only the Kenyi and get the same - 1m:7-8f - OR keep only the YL and get 5 more of them + 5-6 of 2-3 other species.

·
Registered
69 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
It's Kenyi, not Kenya. And Bumble Bee (Ps. crabro) ARE African... The yellow one that looks like the Kenyi is a male Kenyi.

The guy at the LFS lied.

You have three choices. Keep only the bumblebees and get 1m:7-8f total OR keep only the Kenyi and get the same - 1m:7-8f - OR keep only the YL and get 5 more of them + 5-6 of 2-3 other species.
+1 Watch out for the kenyi. They can and usually are nasty as far as aggression.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.