Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help.

I think the first 2 fish are Malawi Eye Biters, 1 male and dont no about the other but the jaw and head on the male does not look as long as a typical eye biters.

The other 2 i cant seem to find in profiles.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Maybe Dimidiochromis strigatus
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1065

Mine looked like this. Female under the firefish thing.

Sorry not sure your female matches your male. But it might. :oops: :)
But I think the female is Dimidiochromis kiwinge

Then you have a Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" maybe (Msuli)
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1460

Edited in (Mouth and head looks more Metriaclima on that shot could you give another to confirm its not some sort of red top Zebra?)

Then a young Protomelas, taeniolatus I think poss will show red later depending on variant.

I think.

All the best James

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
1. Champsochromis spilorhynchus
2. I think a Dimidiochromis compressiceps, but would need a side profile picture to confirm either way.
3. Pseudotropheus elegans "acei"
4. Protomelas either similis or one of the taeniolatus, depending on adult colouration.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Changed my mind on #1, now agree with Fogelhund.

Second fish looks Dimidiochromis but not compressiceps, strigatus looks spot on.

Agree with Fogelhund on #3 and #4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully these pics are better. These guys are a little camera shy.

Also do yous think all these guys should get along? They seem to doing pritty well so far but have only been all together for 2 weeks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So just to confirm where these the final answers?

1. Champsochromis spilorhynchus

2. Dimidiochromis strigatus

3. Pseudotropheus sp. Acei (Msuli)

4. Protomelas, not sure what time untill colours up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not as sure. After looking at the pics in the profiles i think its strigatus, the face just looks to short and narrow to be a compressiceps. but thats all im going off, im no expert and not sure what else i should be looking at besides colours to i.d them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a compressiceps and although similar, it is much different. I am sticking with strigatus. :thumb:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Dutchie678 said:
Im not as sure. After looking at the pics in the profiles i think its strigatus, the face just looks to short and narrow to be a compressiceps. but thats all im going off, im no expert and not sure what else i should be looking at besides colours to i.d them.
The most easily identifiable difference between Dimidiochromis compressiceps and D. strigatus is that the compressiceps has an aristocratic nose (there is a noticable hump along the bridge of it's snout). Your fish has a straight snout, it is a strigatus in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I would guess male but its only a guess. Vent to be sure.

All the best James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts