Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to make a tank divider for my 75 gallon tank.. i saw an idea to use this plastic 7 mesh clear plastic mesh stuff from the craftstore and report cover binders but the idea was for a 10 gallon so only one sheet fit... my measurements for the inside of the tank are as best as i can tell 17 1/2 inch by 18 inchs... the canvas is 10.5 inch by 13.5 inch so id have to attach 4 together.. so i got some plastic thread.. almost like fishing line... and then put aquarium silicone over the thread just to make sure they wont come apart... i'm just wondering what you guys think if this is going to be effective or if theres an easier way to do it.. *** also seen ideas of using plexiglass.. this seems like a huge pain and i dont really wanna do it like that if theres an easier and effective way.. plus.. theres a lip on the top of the tank that the tops sit on.. and the canvas bends im not sure how plexiglass would even fit down there i guess if it was machined perfectly i could put it in diagonally and then straighten it... but still not really looking to make a huge project out of it... any suggestions? im not exactly the most handy person with tools and making things.. nor am i extremely motivated to make this a huge project... looking for a quick solution..... any suggestions, tips and help would be appreciated

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Get a piece of eggcrate. That's light diffuser for recessed light fixtures. Look in a hardware where the dropped ceiling panels are sold. It'll cost $12. Then get four suction cups.

You'll have to angle the piece into the tank and then straighten it up, like you would have had to do with the plexiglas. Use the suction cops at the top, two each side to hold the top. Use rocks to hold the bottom. You can probably find the suction cups in the hardware or craft store. They will probably come with hooks on them, just take those off, like these. You may even find something at the LFS.

You may come up with a better idea, but that's off the top of my head.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wait how do the suction cups attach to the egg crate? do you jus stick them on the tank walls next to the eggcrate and the nub of the suction cup keeps it in place? anyone have a picture of how this works? that seems way easier then this stupid mesh thing i was gonna do.. suction cups they have at the hardware store too cuz i got some for my fluval and my eheim canisters there... ill have to cut it to fit also?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The link that prov356 provided was for visual aid. The $92.54 was for a 5 pack. Lowes and Home Depot carry eggcrate in single 2'x4' sheets.

Measure the inside dimensions of your tank and cut the eggcrate to the approximate size. It doesn't have to fit snug. I use small zip ties to attach the suction cups to the eggcrate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahhh zip ties.... natures answer for everything!!! lol ok sweet thanks guys ima def return all this arts and crafts **** i bought today and go with the egg crate... i dont even need the divider yet.. but i have way too many aggressive ca cichlid juvies in my 75 and while my hope is that they tolerate each other because they grow up with each other im sure they wont... so ill probly be keeping whichever ones i think look coolest... so when they start trying to murder each other ill be prepared

·
Registered
288 Posts
To cut the egg crate, I use a needle nose plyers to grab each tab and snap it. There are probably more elegant ways to do this, but it works great for me. If you need to keep smaller fish out, you can wrap the egg crate in plastic screen - this can be purchased at the hardware store as well. Just cut it to size with a scissors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts