Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
davegius said:
Could be. Hard to tell since most copadichromis have similar spotting.

davegius said:
Not so sure about the first fish, I wanted to say some sort of livingstonii, but the pattern is not a definite. In the second pic, the fish in the back resembles a vensutus, but could easily be another livingstonii as well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, the fish in that second pic in the back is definitely a venustus, was needing the id more on the fish in the foreground. Its definitely not a Livingstoni; the pics are not the greatest as I got them while they were sleeping so some of his bars were some what faded out. I'll try and get some better pics, as the bars seem more protomelas when he is in normal coloration (its just so much harder to get a good pic of them when theyre awake and moving :D )

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
davegius said:
No idea on these from any of the experts? :-?
And rasco is what? Chopped liver?

Where did these fish come from? Personally, i do not believ it is right to try and attach a scientific name to fish that have lost their id but i would share N opinion or two on likely common names if you provide more on how you came into possession of these fish. You might even tempt one of those you consider an "expert" to post.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes, didnt mean any disrespect to rasco :oops: , just that no one else had commented on most of these and wanted to bump it up. Common names would be great, even something to point me in the right direction. I got them from a reputable dealer, but they came in one of those assorted haps packages where they pick a little of this and a little of that depending on what is high in stock. PMs are welcome too :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
In the last pair, the fish in question looks nothing like a Nimbochromis livingstonei. The head shape looks like a Placidochromis electra, but the body color is all wrong. My best guess would be a hybrid of some sort.

The fish in back in the very last image is a definite venustus. Nimbochromis species, when the fish is reasonably pure, are all very easy to distinguish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pic 046 looks kind of blurry. Blurry or not, this is just going to be a stab in the dark since I don't have that much experience yet. But I'd like to try to help. So...what about Lethrinops Intermedius? :?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
davegius said:
Yikes, didnt mean any disrespect to rasco :oops:
Haha. I had no idea. It's all good, no offense taken. :thumb:

Chromedome52 said:
In the last pair, the fish in question looks nothing like a Nimbochromis livingstonei. The head shape looks like a Placidochromis electra, but the body color is all wrong. My best guess would be a hybrid of some sort.

The fish in back in the very last image is a definite venustus. Nimbochromis species, when the fish is reasonably pure, are all very easy to distinguish.
Listen to this guy, I've never kept a livingstoni, mine was a wild hair guess. The eye pattern def looks like an electra, but they are blue and are striped/colored different.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Think the bottom one could be a young Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwan Reef) but thats hardly rare :wink:
But agree very hard/maybe impossible to pin many of these down esp with so many crosses and changed fish (line bred) in the shops that look similar to pure species and variants.

Too many times do I see tanks of these (often Czechoslovakia bred in the UK) in LFSs with poor or no labels.
Bit of a nightmare for the budding hap keepers. :(
I guess it is similar where you are?

All the best James

1 - 12 of 12 Posts