Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend gave me this 4.5-5 inch cichlid and I can't figure out what kind it is. I'm guessing this is a female due to the color but what confused me is that the anal fin was not rounded like females usually have. Anyone know what type of cichlid this is? And am I right assuming it is female?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
Aulonocara X "Hap" hybrid most likely. No male color, so will always be a mystery. May have been hormoned when young, which is very common for such fish, maybe it gave it weird fins.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That looks a lot like a Kadango peacock. If it's still young, it wouldn't be coloured yet. I'll share a pic of the mature male version of what I think it is.
Water Nature Organism Underwater Fin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Aulonocara X "Hap" hybrid most likely. No male color, so will always be a mystery. May have been hormoned when young, which is very common for such fish, maybe it gave it weird fins.
Peacocks are already haps..... Both mbuna and peacock fall under the haplochromine banner

·
Registered
8 Posts
My friend gave me this 4.5-5 inch cichlid and I can't figure out what kind it is. I'm guessing this is a female due to the color but what confused me is that the anal fin was not rounded like females usually have. Anyone know what type of cichlid this is? And am I right assuming it is female?
There remains the possibility too, that it's been hybridized to a less colourful species. I've seen some mbuna that were hybrid offspring of two different hybrid parents and the results were sad. Dull brownish olive colour with some bars. Barely any iridescence. And they were like 15cm fish, chunky bodied. Well grown out fish, but poor genetics. I hate it when people let their hybrids spawn and grow out and then try sell them and hand them out thinking it's a kindness. Result - the struggles of finding good near pure blooded cichlids.

·
Super Moderator
40,390 Posts
IME the borleyi juveniles and females are a solid gray with red fins. I don't see bars like that on mine. I am leaning toward noki's reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts