Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are new to cichlids and got these from an assorted cichlid tank, so we were wondering if you guys could help us identify what species they are. =)

This guy is yellow, even though he looks kind of orange in the picture.

Another picture of him.

The little one is light blue with dark stripes. The weird part is that he has horizontal stripes as well as vertical ones. The big one is just a plain blue.

And here's another picture of the little guy.

There's a picture of the yellow guy and the blue guy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If the yellow one is really lemony yellow, it's a yellow lab/red zebra cross. It actually looks very close to a red zebra, though... but they're never yellow-yellow.

i had one just like that gridded blue guy - it had started yellow. the furthest i ever got with it was melanochromis hybrid.

the blue one looks to be some sort of metriaclima/pseudotropheus, by body type, but that's all i can tell. i realize the 2nd genus isn't really a genus, but it shares a few characteristics with some from that genus.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i used to have a fish like your dark blue one there. Very similar, but i never found out what he was. He had yellow egg spots as well, very docile fish.

·
Registered
554 Posts
if it's a blue guy, with a black gill spot, look into metriaclima callainos - cobalt blue zebra. When they're small/stressed they can look rather brown.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
The little one is light blue with dark stripes. The weird part is that he has horizontal stripes as well as vertical ones.
This often happens when a horizontal-barred species mates with a vertical-barred species. Because it came from an "assorted africans" tank, I'd guess that it's a hybrid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts