Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Flowerhorn of some type - I'm not very fluent in all the different varieties out there. In the midst of "peeling" - loosing the black for orange/red tones. Will get big and mean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for answering, I've been lost about this fish, Google lens always had flowerhorn as one of the suggestions but I was not convinced. I've never kept them and have no idea about how they look as juvies. Will it grow up to look like the typical flowerhorn with a big bump on the head or is it some different variety. Any further help would be so appreciated :) !

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Severumisthetankboss said:
Thank you for answering, I've been lost about this fish, Google lens always had flowerhorn as one of the suggestions but I was not convinced. I've never kept them and have no idea about how they look as juvies. Will it grow up to look like the typical flowerhorn with a big bump on the head or is it some different variety. Any further help would be so appreciated :) !
It's the males that get the big humps, so if it's female no... and even then, not all males get the big hump. I doubt yours will.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Agreed - if female, no; it's the males that can develop the really large nuchal hump. If it's male, it's possible, but doubtful this one will get anything large like you're referring to. Only way to know for sure is to let it grow out, but I'd be willing to be a small nuchal hump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, thank you so much for your time and help, I'll just let it grow and see what happens, if possible I'll post some updates on the fish too! :)
It's, in most probabilities a male with the long pointed dorsal and anal fins, it also is extremely is aggressive and picks on fishes even bigger than it is. Also, from the time I posted its picture I've noticed it's already lost most of its black/grey for yellow and red so let's see what happens in the future!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Flowerhorns aren't really community fish, it could easy kill all of its tank mates, especially in a smaller tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've read about flowerhorns not being community fishes, I've also read that sometimes they do adjust in a tank if they've been kept in it since they were small. I've kept him in a 120 gallon aquarium, and there are other fishes with him but they are all 7+ inches, it is because of his aggressive nature that he's been able to hold his ground there and it is for the same reason I put him there. The other fishes in the tank include a Green Terror, Texas, an Oscar and there are other smaller sized fishes too but they are in general much bigger than him. Should I still worry about him killing any of his tank mates?

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Yes.
I would have a quarantine tank set up, cycled and standing by. Keep an eye on things, and when you have a beaten fish in there, (you will) pull it out quickly for quarantine before it is killed. And, you will NOT be able to return any thrashed/beaten fish back to the aquarium after it heals up.
If you wind up with a male Flowerhorn? Well, outside of some very fast, non-cichlid fish in that tank - the Texas (If it is a true Hericthys guttatus) may be the only cichlid with the 'stones' to stay in there with your Flowerhorn, long term. But even then, unless that Texas Cichlid is a male also?
I wouldn't bet on it. :(

·
Registered
538 Posts
Pointed fins are not a sign of sex in these fish - females will get them exactly the same.

If it's a male, it's extremely likely it will take over the entire 120gal and not tolerate any tank mates. I've had plenty of similar large aggressive CA cichlids - flowerhorns, midas, etc., that lived in 120gals by themselves and the tank was barely large enough for just them. They would never have tolerated tank mates.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Plus One to SK!
-
But.... it's not ALL going to be doom and gloom with that Flowerhorn Cichlid (FH) of yours. Oh no! :roll:
So, before you think we're just all about condemning your pugnacious FH, there are ways she (he?) can be kept with other Cichlids. Sure!
I mean, instead of going progressively more and more vicious in that tank - you can just take things in a different path. In this case, just go very small!
Something so small in fact, it's just ridiculous to think that the 'Tank Boss' will be in any way confronted in dominance by those little tank mates.
Check this out....

Mr. Andy Woods is one of my absolute Heros on the New World Cichlid-Keeping scene. He's pretty much seen it all with keeping and breeding these powerful Cichlids. And, those Convicts of his kept with some extremely powerful, nasty Cichlids are just absolutely THRIVING in his tanks. It's kind of amazing actually!
When watching this video, what REALLY blew me away was the Parachromis dovii female kept in the same tank with the Red Devil and the single male Convict. That Apex Predator (Wolf Cichlid) just completely ignored the little Convict! Didn't stalk it, or really seem to want to eat it. She actually seemed much more concerned about getting thrashed by the Red Devil, than eating the Convict!
In all of Andy's tanks, it is all about the structure placed in the larger aquarium to keep everyone as safe and unmolested as possible by the much more powerful and aggressive Cichlids they are kept with it, (Even the female P. dovii from the Red Devil).
Setting up your aquarium similar to Andy's tanks will enable some, (not all) of the Cidchlids you have now to be kept with that mean ol' Flower Horn. But unfortunately, not everyone. :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts