Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know what kind of fish this is? i've searched the profiles, i'm just not sure. i have 2 that are similar but the mouth seems to be different 1 has a wide mouth other very narrow.

these guys change colors all the time. some times they have black bars other times they look like my cobolt zebra. they seem to stick together. i'm clueless, need help with id please.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hmmm, top one looks like the original metriaclima estherae where the males are blue.

Second fish has psuedotropheus type features like a saulosi but the colors are off. Maybe its a psuedotropheus saulosi male that is subdominant so is in the purgatory of color change. Was it ever solid yellow if you bought it small?

Then again it may be a hybrid.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i swear these 2 fish change colors all the time ..... its like they camoflauge. sometimes you can't even see the bars on them & other times the bars are so black..
only difference i see is the dots on the tail & they have different mouths

i bought them awhile ago but they were not yellow.

notice they are always together, well they used to pick on each other non stop and they never leave each others side and are officially my tanks bullies....

heres are some more close ups i just took:

·
Registered
551 Posts

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
If the bars go black at times on the big blue one it can't be M. estherae, it is just a more normal "Zebra BB"if unknown heritage.

The other one does look Sauloisi-ish... but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
by the pics i think you could be right about him being an Metriaclima estherae, looks pretty close anyways.. so is this the same family as my cobalt zebra? would they get along, i was looking for another cobalt but can't seem to find any around- i have a nice big 90 gallon with only 5 fish and wanted to add more but my cobalt is rough.....

could be a psuedotropheus saulosi maybe, i think when i first got him his stripes were that black, so why would his colors be washed out?

Thanks Jenn

·
Registered
551 Posts
Only a dominant male saulosi has the very dark coloring, not being the dominant fish and not having any females around to show off for there is no reason to bring attention to himself with dark contrasting colors.

Agree that if the large zebra has bars that go completely black it is likely not pure metriaclima estherae. Blue estherae males do have bars that can turn dark blue for short periods when excited.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts