Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pindani pseudotropheus socolofi. large egg spots on the fin. The prob. he/she has been alone for about a year and half, is very territorial even when by itself just tears up the tank moving things and redecorating on its on(I understand this is normal). I want to put other cichlids in my tank any suggestions?? And another she spends alot of time attacking her reflection in the glass.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hmm...
We do need to know the size to recommend something..

What I would do is get a 10 gallon hospital tank. Get a sponge filter and little powerhead to ripple the water surface. Run the sponge filter in your main tank for 2 weeks. Then move to him/her to the hospital tank. (get your water from your main tank)

Then get more Socolofi and put in main tank (4 more).

Then after a week or 10 days, then move the original one back in. I think your biggest issue may be finding socolofi bigger than 2".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 39 . I will try to a pic of him/ her up soon .she's already over 4 inch :? . Got to say if I can't find any other fish I will just enjoy her crazy antics. Also I thought this wes crazy we have an upscale fish store near me and they wanted $127 for a 4" yellow lab I have only kept this one cichlid for the past year so not really caught up research but thought that was insane

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
yeah, that's {price} is stupid.

I wouldn't even consider a 5" prize yellow lab worth $127. That's 6" frontosa price.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've heard bad things about crustaceans and mbuna.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
starsnwings said:
is their any type of freshwater crabs I could put with her?
Mbuna will usually kill crustaceans when they molt (when their skin is soft and vulnerable)

What are the dimensions of your 37 gallon tank? If it's a 30" tank (when I do a search for common tank sizes, it looks like 37 gallon tanks are usually 30" long), I fear that just about any fish you add to the tank will be harassed by your Socolofi - especially because your description makes it sound like it is a male and very territorial. It is very difficult to add additional fish to a tank with adults who have already established territory - especially in a small tank like this where the Socolofi's territory is likely to encompass the entire tank.

If you want a group of cichlids, I think your best bet may be to rehome or trade in your socolofi for a colony of Pseudotropheus Saulosi. These are dwarf mbuna and you could keep about 3 males with 10 or so females in your tank.

Your other option is to upgrade your tank size to a 55 gallon or larger. If you do this, you could get 4 females for your Socolofi (or if it's a female, get 1 male + 3 females), and additionally you could choose another species or two to complement this group.

Otherwise, my advice is to let the socolofi live out his/her life in the current tank. There is a high chance that any fish you add will be stressed or killed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts