Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to post a pic on what is wrong with my Red Zebra (Male powder Blue). It seems ther is an open wound like its scales are gone no longer blue but whiteish at the wound on the front of the head. I just changed out 20% of the water of my 55g. Tested the nitrate and is at or below 5mg, PH of 8.2 and temp of 77.degrees F. All other parameters are in range. I have other fish in the tank and nothing is wrong with them. I did loose a orange Red Zebra to a type of fungus that did attack the fishes body and eyes. I did treat the tank with Lifeguard from Tetra. Sorry for the long post but trying to explain as much as possable. :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
You should move him out into a hospital tank. Make sure he is away from light or intense heat; make sure you have a filter, heater, and pumice stone. It helps with his stress level & will help him heal. I'm going through something like that right now, and not sure if my little guy will pull through but from past experiences, Melafix does wonders for injured or sick fish. And continue doing water changes :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KMNL said:
You should move him out into a hospital tank. Make sure he is away from light or intense heat; make sure you have a filter, heater, and pumice stone. It helps with his stress level & will help him heal. I'm going through something like that right now, and not sure if my little guy will pull through but from past experiences, Melafix does wonders for injured or sick fish. And continue doing water changes :)
I guess I should purchase a 10g hospital tank and treat just him and not the rest of the other fish since they dont seem sick. This would bring down the cost of treating a large tank and make the medicine last longer :wink: , but at the same time I need to purchase or make a small media filter with a air stone. Should I put coral substrate in the tank as a buffer? Thanks for the reply :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Is the spot on his head tiny like the size of a fish mouth? Or bigger?

If it is just injuries then melafix and even just clean water works well. If it is something else like what happened to the zebra then a more aggressive treatment may be required.

A pic of the spot would help a lot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
Is the spot on his head tiny like the size of a fish mouth? Or bigger?

If it is just injuries then melafix and even just clean water works well. If it is something else like what happened to the zebra then a more aggressive treatment may be required.

A pic of the spot would help a lot.
I tried to post a pic yesterday but was not able to and read how to but still no luck. It was going to be attached to this topic to help determin what it is. The spot is growing in size and is like a scale flesh wound and is whit in color. The fish is powder blue but the area on his head is turning a pinkish white like the scales are missing and not an attack wound cause he runs the tank and not even bullying like. So to answer your question to me its not a mouth from another fish wound cause none of them are big enough it is some kind of bacteria I guess. I did put more Lifeguard pills in the tank last night cause I cant do nothing :?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I now have him in a tank by himself and will continue treatment. Can this be HITH disease (Hole In Head).??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now on to the next step after the Lifeguard by Tetra was not doing it for me. It is to broad in its treatment and not specific enough. I did a partial water change to the hospital tank and now treating with BiFuran+. This looks to be what I think Im looking for (fingers crossed) 8) and like magic the fish responded WAY MORE than the other treatment so I will let you all know what happens next with this white patchy disease.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Google pictures of columnaris and see if that's what the patch on your fish looks like. It's all I can think of.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
Google pictures of columnaris and see if that's what the patch on your fish looks like. It's all I can think of.
I have been reading and it could be this. the more I read it seems to be so. Thanks for the insight I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb:
I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day 2 with treatment and all looks good the bacteria/virus is slowing to a stop, no more spreading. Now management time and hopefully turn back the clock on this thing. :fish:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Day 3 and things are getting better. The wound is no longer white and fuzy or fleshy and breaking away. This stuff is working great the wound is IMO starting to heal already. :popcorn:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 4 and getting much better. I can now see the area that was white is now turning blue again so basically its healing :) . I just wish his eye would get better though, maybe its just a scabe and will fall away as he gets better :roll:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Day 4,5,6,7 treatments have gone very well still seems the one eye has a slight bubble haze to it but otherwise the head wound has healed. Day 8 he should make his way back to the main tank. Just did a water change to the main tank and checked all parameters, all are on the money :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Wait a couple weeks to ensure the spots don't come back. That happened to me a couple times.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well he is back in the main tank and quickly set the tone with the females :lol: asserting his role as a peacfull dominant ruler of the tank. His wounds have healed up and just a slight haze to the one eye but I can tell he can still see. Will monitor for a few days this was my first time actually having a hostpital tank to treaat a fish, way easier!!!!!!!!! =D>

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wonderful news!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts