Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased and repaired a used 150 gallon reef tank. It measures 72*24*20. The entire backside of the tank is one massive filter that is the whole length of the backside of the tank. Water goes over the overflow into a series of small tank where you put filter pads, down a drip chute and then drips down over about 500 bio balls and then gets pumped back into the tank. My question is what size pump should I utilize to run this. It came with a 185 gph pump but that seems way too low. Im used to setting up tanks that have 6-10 times the water volume per hour. My daughters 45g is set up with a emperor 400. Should I up the pump size that Im using. Would this setup benefit from under gravel jets? I have no experience with this type of filtration and could really use some advise on how to proceed. I recently repaired some cracks on the back side of the tank that went well (DIY post a while back) and now I would like to get it up and going. Thanks in advance for your help. :thumb:

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
There are many ways to set up filtering and most are quesses at what may work best. In your situation there is a lot of details that will effect whether the filtering is right. Type,size,number of fish are starters. I would suggest that if it worked for the former owner and you have somewhat the same fish and feeding habits, it should work for you. For flow rates, there are a couple obvious things that matter to me. One is how much media is being used. If you have twice as much media, you may only need half as much water flowing through it. Some media works better than others. See what I mean? To me the way to go on filtering is to check the water qualities and adjust if needed. Right now you have so many unknowns that any actual figure is going to be kind of a standard type guess. When it comes down to buying more filter, I wait and see if it is needed. It won't be a sudden overnight crisis and you can operate for now and get a much better idea of what might be needed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like you have a truvu aquasystems tank. I would go with 3-5x turnover. Wet dry filters are more efficient IMO and water doesn't need to be cranked through there. You can call truvu and ask what size pump they recommend for your particular system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts