Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

in my long long wait just got over after i have discovered last night that my Black Calvus already spawned. and not just layed eggs.. **** were already free swimming all over my 75gal tanganyikan tank. they were less 1cm in size

yeah, it does means i did not totally observed my tank. but honestly I am really suspecting my female maybe laying eggs because she somewhat protecting her shell.

how did i discovered it? last night i tried to change my light from LED to a classic flourecent bulb.
then i notice something moving in my substrate... happy to saw that they are the ****!

here is the situation..

in my 75gal 48x18x18 tank
Adult Black Calvus - 2m 2f
Adult Cyps - 1m 2f
Adult J. regani - 1m1f

calvus **** - 50++

i'm too exited bout it and I dont know what to do by then..
i SMS my friend and get some advise...

here's what i got
2 suggestion - remove all the parent and all adult to preserved the ****
1 suggestion - remove the **** in a seperate tank with the same water in tank

what i did what to remove all the adult and let the fry stay.
i moved all the adult in my other 35gal tanganyikan tank which also houses 4 sub adult black calvus (2m2f)
now they were a little full pack! :(

i like to hear from you guys your suggestion suggestion...

picture will be posted soon :) thank you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if i may say, they were my first ****..
and i would love to make they grow

ok, that was my first instinct that time, to get all the **** and leave the adults in tank.
since they were really un expected, my only free tank were just a 2.5gals and a small biofoam filter. the other 35gal as i said were already occupied by another trio black calvus.

so what i did think was these fry need a stable water parameter and a quit clean one!
and my 75gals can support that!

yet im still open for suggestion guys! here are they now and im not quite sure if they really eats now

because if they do, thats the time i'm confident to house them in a separate tnak.
what do you think?

btw, the adult were doing fine in my 35gal tank..

cheers mate! thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
PM Razzo youll find him posting pictures of his altos here all the time I believe he breeds them frequently. I have never bred altos myself but a friend who has lost 100% of the fry when he moved them to another tank, too stressful. The only thing that worked for him was removing the adults and placing them in another tank leaving the fry in place for awhile.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cracks said:
DENZIO said:
Adult J. regani - 1m1f
if you dont remove the fry and you take the parents out, these guys will be over fed in no time
mate, the j.regani pair were included to the 35gal transfer. As well as the trio cyps and adult calvus. The only one left was the mom that might have another set taking care of.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
borohands8593 said:
PM Razzo youll find him posting pictures of his altos here all the time I believe he breeds them frequently. I have never bred altos myself but a friend who has lost 100% of the fry when he moved them to another tank, too stressful. The only thing that worked for him was removing the adults and placing them in another tank leaving the fry in place for awhile.
yes actually i really appreciate if Razzo could reply. His is one of the factor i keep and love Altos bcoz of the stunning specids that he have.

I think i thought the same, adult can tolerate stress a little more than these ****.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i meant in my previous post...

If im now certain that the fry do EAT, thats the time ill transfer them and return all adults back in that tank.

Or, if someone could tell me that these fry size can now be ready for transfer. Ill be happy to buy a separate tank for them now.

Thanks mates!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Didn't see you mover the julis too. :thumb: As long as you have bacteria from the first tank your fry would have no problem in moving them to the 35. This way you won't see a ammonia or nitrite spike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Everyone has made good points. I'm sure Razzo has the correct answer here. I have never bred calvus. I just think a 75g is really big for a fry tank. How many fry are in there?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
initial count were 50+ mate. i hope it a good count :)
and i'm now hatching brine shrimp right now for them

·
Registered
27 Posts
The fry will do fine with the parents. Just keep an eye on the other fish to make sure they are not snacking. They will probably grow up faster in the tank with their parents. Id keep them in there. My Calvus pair are raising their fry as they speak. Eggs just hatched last weekend.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Congrats!

My experiences have been raising fry in a seperate tank. I have had some success and I have had some losses. Alto fry can be very tough to keep alive. Just when you think you've "got it going," you'll be shocked by a massive die off. I have not quite figured out why yet. After a few months my survival rate is very high but those first couple months can be very dissapointing.

I have taken a break from keeping any new fry for a few months until I am ready to really focus again. My sister, who baby sat my orange fin comps, had hundreds of fry and almost no losses at all. She is doing something VERY right and I am trying to capture what she does. I was just talking to her this week about this very topic. I'll send her this post and ask her to comment.

My favorite female calvus is spawning right now - I'll watch for her fry and attempt to raise them.

I'll comment more after my sis replys :)

Russ

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks russ

i hope you could send me your sister techniques in raising these ****.

Since the **** were already free swimming all over the tank, what ir the best way to catch them all with less stress?

Also, is it ok to place their seperate tank outdoor? Of course with no direct sunlight. Your opinion please

1 - 17 of 17 Posts