Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of a family member fell on some hard times and had to give up he's 80 gallon cichlids tank. I'm overseas at work and my wife made a decision to take the tank and fish. I don't have much info as to we mostly talk over text and Skype and she doesn't understand much of what I'm asking. All I know is it's an 80 gallon tall tank, has two parrot cichlids, electric yellow cichlid and a plecostomus. It has a hang on back filter, a heater and two air stones. I have attached pics of the tank set up at my house. Please any help would be much appreciated. I have never had cichlids before so I don't know where to start with taking care of them. What temperature do they like, should they have a lights or blue lights at night? Info like that would be helpful. Thank you

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Those look like Oscars.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
The pictured fish are oscars. A single one might be OK in an 80 gallon tank, but two will eventually need about a 150, if they remain compatible. They are messy eaters. Their favorite food is crayfish (crawdads). Lots of filtration is a very useful idea. Large 50% water changes. They like to have toys and may convert some tank equipment such as heaters into toys with negative results. I had one who loved to use the floating thermometer as a rocket, pulling it to the bottom and releasing it to shoot up out of the water, until it hit the center brace and broke. They like to lay flat on the bottom, startling their keeper. Some have the theory that they do it just to get our goat. Mine is that it is a way of hunting crayfish, but the jury is not even picked to decide that one. Keeping equipment and other things you don't want chewed, away from them is useful. Sumps, canister filters, and Mattenfilters with space behind for the heater are possibilities. Do not feed them feeder fish or dead fish. If crayfish are not available, raw shrimp are a good substitute. Omnivore pellets are good. They will also eat a variety of vegetables and fruit. Tomato, eggplant, and citrus are too acidic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts