Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice for adding fish. As I've learned in the last 13 months of being a fish owner, its not as easy as it looks! :eek: . I am adding two links to recent posts I have made in the last week or so to give some background on my current situation.

As of now I think I have:
1 female Metriaclima Estherae
1 female OB Peacock
1 male metriaclima callainus.
I think the fish that died last week was a male petrotilapia or a hybrid Labidochromis caeruleus
I also have a Hypostomus plecostomus.

I have the following fish in my established 55gal tank http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=225563 and am looking to add.
I recently had an issue where I lost 2 fish in two months. the 2nd pic is one of the fish I lost last week. It was taken less than 12 hours before it died and as you can see, there was nothing apparent wrong with him.
Here is a link to the posts I made in the "Illness, health & Nutrition Forum" for background on my latest issue: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=225544.

My intention is to make sure the tank is "squared away" and add fish to promote the overall health and well-being of the tank.

My questions are:
1.How many fish should I add and whats the maximum for the tank?

2. What types should I add assuming that they are ID'd correctly?

3. General advice on my current fish and what I'm doing right/wrong?

4. Where can I get fish as my local options are either a box store(which I've stayed away from), or a locally owned pet store that has given me bad advice in the past.(although to their credit admit they know little about cichlids.)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
1. That's not really a cut-and-dry question. 3 species with 1m:4-6f each would be good.
2. More of what you have. See above.
3. The peacocks might take a bit of a beating and your two metriaclima species might hybridize, so keep an eye on the tank to see how things go and adjust as necessary. Don't keep fry from your zebras or callainos.
4. Internet. Check the reviews section.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The peacock doesn't seem to be bothered by the other two. The callainos seem to pick on the pleco the most.
Keeping fry doesn't seem to be a problem as the peacock has been holding on a regular basis but never keeps the eggs. Not sure that the callainos was fertilizing, and the zebra has yet to hold(only had it for a month though)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
#1 is the most important.
3 species and 1M:4-6F

DLMS has it right, Pecocks generally don't go well with mbuna.

You can use froogle.com to help you find some online stores; but check the banners at the top of the forums.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At last I've gotten lucky in this adventure in fish keeping cause I've had the peacock for 9 months without sickness or aggression issues(from him or towards him). :dancing:
But I guess there's a possibility I may not be so luck when I add to the tank.
Would I be better off not adding any more peacocks and just adding to the other two species?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Or you could add peacocks.. but the females are drab.
Depends on what you like :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really interested in adding drab fish.
So my Callainos is male, so I need 4 or 5 female Callainos? How do they appear compared to the males?.
And I think my zebra is female, so I need 1 male and 3-4 more female, Is there much difference in appearance between male and female? I'm not interested in having 5-6 orange fish.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Callainos are monomorophic - how do you know yours is male?
Only way to REALLY tell is
A) 2 fish in a tank, 1 gets pregnant
B) you vented him

RZ's are also monomorphic - I'm very picky about my RZ's - I only take the darkest orange ones.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At one point I only had three fish and two would hold eggs on a regular basis, so I figured the callainos was male by process of elimination :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There ya go :)

Now the trick is finding females :?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if I added to what I have the way I should, I'm going to have a tank of orange and blue fish, and one semi-ugly peacock? :roll:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Well, you can always sell the peacock and get some more yellow labs (if you want yellow).. or another species where male/female is blue/yellow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
firemedic1169 said:
At one point I only had three fish and two would hold eggs on a regular basis, so I figured the callainos was male by process of elimination :D
Doesn't prove the cobalt is a male, especially as you said the holding females haven't held to term. Maybe the eggs weren't fertilized. Females will still lay eggs and gather them without a male in the tank.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
True, I've only had that happen once - and I KNOW I have males in my tank.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had what I think is a male for 13 months. He is the only one in the tank that has not held eggs so I figured he was male. I've also seen him court the females. He also makes "nests" in the rocks by taking the pebbles out of a fake ship I have in the tank. Is that a characteristic of a male or female?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Male, I believe.

Only my males dig like crazy, and yes, that little flirting/shaking, etc... coupled with digging. I would be comfortable saying it's a male.

My male ice blue & kenyi were both major diggers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glaneon said:
Well, you can always sell the peacock and get some more yellow labs (if you want yellow).. or another species where male/female is blue/yellow.
Could I keep what I have, add females for the metro cal, and also add yellow labs, or is that too much

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That peacock will likely get beat up.

So you're proposing:
1 Red Zebra (female)
1 Cobalt Zebra
1 peacock
1 pleco

Add:
4 Cobalt Zebra
5 yellow labs

You could add a few more RZ's.

You will have crossbreeding but let them spit in the tank and 95%-100% won't make it.

I think it would be good color.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Standard stocking for mbuna in a 55 is:
3 species
1 male & 4 female of each species

So that's 15.

You could do more of Demasoni or Saulosi as they are dwarf mbuna.

You could then add a couple BN plecos for algae control.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.