Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a sick bolivain ram that I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on.

I have 4 bolivan rams in a planted 75g tank. Ammonia - 0, Nitrites - 0, Nitrates - 5 and PH around 6.8 Water temp is 77 degrees.

They have been in the tank for a little over a month now. The ram that is sick is floating, nose down along the substrate. He seems to be breathing okay, color looks okay... maybe a bit washed out compared to normal and his stomach doesn't look bloated. At first I thought he was trying to eat some food out of the substrate, but then noticed him twirling a little as he was "bobbing" along the bottom as well.

I kept an eye on him until I went to bed last night expecting him to have passed on in the morning, but this morning, he was doing exactly the same thing. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I hate to see him like this and if there is anything I can do to help, I'd like to try.

They were purchased from a mom and pop LFS. I would like to note that one of them always seemed to shy away from the others and stayed in the bank of the tank, ocassionally coming out to hang out with the other 3. Usually before dinner time... I'm not sure if this is the one that is sick or not.

Unfortunately, I don't have a QT tank to put him in.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Difficult to diagnose, could be a swim bladder issue among many other things. Any improvement following a water change? Any chance on a KH reading? A quick search says they're sensitive to KH fluctuations, they probably meant pH swings.
Dosing anything for the plants?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.