Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have redone my 75 gallon tank and need advice on the setup and what type of fish I can add with the existing fish or do I need to move them to my 30 gallon.

Currently have te following fish in the tank
2 Swordtails
1 Catfish
2 Silver Dollars
1 Red
1 Parrot
2 Unidenfied cichlids

[/img]

2 - 150w Via Aqua Stainless Steel Heaters
AC110 HOB Filter
AC802 Powerhead
1800 Via Aqua Powerhead
1300GPH Wave Maker

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
With the setup and not knowing, it looks like you might be aiming toward some African cichlids, maybe? With that in mind, I would suggest moving the parrot and the silver dollars out. The swordtails would most likely need to go at some point but the red?? and other might/ might not work with new fish. We really need to know more about what you might want. I may be missing the whole point of what you like. Lots of choices.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PfunMo:
Yes, I will be stocking the tank with African Cichilds. I want to know if I need to re-arrange the rocks and if the filtrations is enough.

I want to stock it with the fish below or can I add some of these in the 30 gallon with the Silver Dollars, Red Parrot and Swordtails

2 Maylandia zebra "red zebra"
2 Copadichromis Borleyi red fin
2 Aulonocara OB peacock
5 The Peacock Assortment Packages
5 The Prestige Assortment packages
5 The Haplochromines Assortment
2 Bristlenose Pleco
2 Aulonocara stuartgranti blue dorsal
2 Placidochromis Electra
2 Placidochromis Electra

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would say the rocks and arrangement are fine. Lots of nooks and crannies for fish. The rest is largely a judgment call depending on lots os small things that are really hard to judge. I think I'm counting around 27 fish on the hew list. That is quite a few but depending on size, water changing and experience it might work out. The filtering for that many may not be enough. I have a 75 with that many fish but I'm able to get by with a fair amount of experience and work. Others have been critical of my stocking so it may not be for everybody. I would not want to add many of that group in with the Parrot, silver dollars, or swordfish. They are pretty different fish and depending on size trouble might be expected. I would especially watch the zebra for aggression as they begin to age some.

One guy's thinking and there will be others with different thoughts. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
That stocklist you want will cause major problems. First, none of them are pairing fish. Second, adding any females to a peacock/hap tank will cause cross-breeding and massive jumps in aggression. Third, RZs are way too aggressive for peacocks/haps. I'd suggest posting your stocking list in the Malawi section.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi not1min.
A good way to reduce the stocking would be to keep just one male of each species.
Chances are, buying two of each, you may end up with a pair m&f.
If two fish pair and spawn in your tank, that will increase the chances of aggression, as the pair defend their spawning site.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Only some species defend fry/brooding areas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts