Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up a 125g for telmatchromis temporalis sp. shell. 2/3 of the tank is scattered stones and shells which is going to be the temps territory. I am ordering 20 of various sizes.

I have a large rock pile in the other 1/3 of the tank. What is a rock dweller that can hold their own with the temps? I don't mind if they eat some of the temps fry.

Would any of these work:
Altos
leluepi
brichardi
large julies

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The temps will overrun the tank and there will be battles, potentially, with whatever you add. I've managed to get temps on one half of a six footer and brichardi on the other half, but only after playing around for a year and using a divider for a time. But, you're familiar with that. I've not heard good things about lelueupi mixing with much of anything. Altos will get bullied long before they can get big enough to hold their own. They won't get any rock space they can hold once the temps overrun the tank and that won't take long. I think what will determine succes is the size of the fish added and the order added. Rather than run through all possible scenarios, why don't you pick one you'd really like to go with and we'll talk about that.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prov,

Can't say that I have a particular one I prefer. I want something that will be able to hold their own. Not worried about breeding, if a single would work fine ,and if a pair would be fine great.

I'm trying to dig up information on the larger Lamps like kendalli and attenuatus.

Thoughts on a single large species?

I'm excited about this setup, should be A LOT of action.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The Lepidolamprologus should work with them. I might think something like a Neolamprologus tetracanthus would as well.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I would also think any of those would work. I'd have a hard time picking between the three. They're all large enough that they can beat back the hordes of temps as they populate and overrun the tank. I'd suggest scattered rocks throughout the tank. Don't bother with shells as the temporalis seem to prefer digging out around rocks and are perfectly happy to spawn there. And I'd go for a pair of the lamps, more spunk with something to defend. You'll just have to plan the introduction of the fishes. Yeah, there will definitely be some action. Maybe wait for the lepidio's or lamp's to pair up and stake a claim, remove the rest, and let the temporalis fight over what's left. Already can't wait to see the video's you'll post. :) Go for it. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet, I'm going to go for it.

Does anybody know which of the large lamps have the best pair bonds? I have read that kendalli have horrible bonds.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I've found that Tetracanthus, big or not, are "all talk" when it comes to "holding their own" against any other mate which is persistently bullying them...

However, My experience is limited to one pair of tets that I once owned until A single male Helianthus, 1/5th of the tet's size killed him in three hours and was continuing to shred his body well after he was dead (The female, proabably traumatized by the scene got wise and headed straight for the high corner refuge of the tank. ANd all this ina an understocked 125!)

I say spend the extra cash on big Calvus but most of you knew I would say that! :lol: :D

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Temporalis aren't nasty like that. They're little bulldogs, but not psychotic. They focus more on their own kind. A bluff might be all the tetracanthus need to stake a claim. But, hey Aaron, get some and find out for us, bud. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think were forgetting temps are shell dwellers lol. Tetracanthus may eat them.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found some Tetracanthus at 4-5" for $19 a pop! The place is really close so shipping would be inexpensive.

Worried they would snack on the temps, anyone feel the same way?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
ahud said:
Found some Tetracanthus at 4-5" for $19 a pop! The place is really close so shipping would be inexpensive.

Worried they would snack on the temps, anyone feel the same way?
No worries..

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may be able to go pick them up. What would be the best way to get a pair? 2 males and 4 females?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts