Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sold to me as A. Stuartgrant hai reef blue neon.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the dorsal fin is more black than blue which makes me have my doubts.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It looks like a nicely developing Blue Neon... as opposed to a Usisya Flavescent.

Key here are the ventral fins..

Blue Neon will have definate yellow/greenish color whereas the Usisya will have definate black color.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cichlid_baby said:
It looks like a nicely developing Blue Neon... as opposed to a Usisya Flavescent.

Blue Neon will have definate yellow/greenish color whereas the Usisya will have definate black color.
He is already quite large, around 4 inches...does not seem like his dorsal will become a deep blue like in pictures i have seen.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mudkicker said:
cichlid_baby said:

He is already quite large, around 4 inches...does not seem like his dorsal will become a deep blue like in pictures i have seen.
I understand your concern.. but size alone has very little to do with depth and coverage of coloration, fin development.

I don't know what other tankmates your fish is in or what kind of aquarium environment he is living in.. but looking at the picture.. I see a fish that is "subdued" in coloration and finnage... if you can address these issues first.. it might help the fish fully develop.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought this guy from a very reputable African Chichlid breeder in Quebec. By far the biggest that there is around these parts.
What bothers me though, when we pay for F0 or F1, how do we "really" know that is what we are getting. We need to really have a lot of faith in these so called breeders. And there is also the possibility that the breeder's supplier is scamming HIS customers with the F0 and F1 thing. The only way you can be 100% certain is if you go to lake Malawi yourself and catch your own fish.
Also, with most peacocks females looking so alike, how do we really know that our "breeders" do not accidentally mix them up? For example, my fish looks like the dad was a steveni blue neon and the mom was a flavescent...or vice versa.

anyway...

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
Mudkicker said:
We need to really have a lot of faith in these so called breeders.
It all boils down to this...reputation and trust is everything. :thumb:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
cichlid_baby said:
noki said:
Not a Bi-color 500
There are some similarities to a Bi-color 500 but I would lean towards a Blue Neon.

Here are some examples of a Bi-color 500

[ig]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/cichlid_baby/bicolor5003.jpg[/img]
[im]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/cichlid_baby/bicolor500.jpg[/img]
[im]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/cichlid_baby/Bi-Color500.jpg[/img]
It is clearly neither of these fish.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chunkanese said:
Gorgeous fish either way.
Thanks, I will try and get better pictures. I think that actinic light may be throwing some color off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts