Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. As a christmas gift to myself :) I got some met. chailosi that I've been wanting for a while. Before getting the chailosi, I had some ads already posted to sell some of my other fish & while checking my posts/messages; I see a new ad that has met. membes for sale & couldn't pass them up. My 55g was already stocked with yellow labs, cyno haras & mainganos & now I have 5 chailosi & 5 membes added to that. So, I plan to remove the mainganos & haras; making my new stocklist : yellow labs, chailosi & membes.
I'm not going to be able to get a bigger tank (like a 6') for a while, that would be a nice solution & I could keep them all. ATM in my 55 g, I have the mainganos playing "musical holding females" but they are a little too boisterous at times. The yellow labs have produced 2 clutches months ago, but since the maingano have matured & doing their thing; the labs & haras have not been. The male membe is huge(4"+) & the other 4 are 2.75-3". The seller of the membes told me the male would take over my tank, which hasn't happened. I thought the labs, chailosi & membes would be the best combo. I actually wanted to go with the mainganos, chailosi & membes; but the maingano are the most aggressive and I just got bored with the hara - so I decided to sell them. I'm just thinking out loud - looks like too many fish & not enough tanks or multi-tank syndrome. :lol:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Welcome to the world of African Cichlids. If I had to do over again, I would avoid 95% of the AC species.

I started out a bit over zealous in the early stages of keeping ACs. I started with a 75G community tank, but like you are experiencing, I had to add another tank and move most all the aggressive ACs to it. I then followed the advice (bad advice I might add) to over-stock the tank to dissipate the aggression. Problem is those 30 x 2-3" ACs (Haps & Peacocks) in my 150G grew into 30 x 4-6" terrors. And like your experience, my two Yellow Labs turned into ten.

So now four years later I have a 125G with just two large ACs (with a divider to keep them from killing each other). The 150G has only a few ACs (I am migrating over to a few docile SA and CA species). The 75G has two small ACs (babies that will get moved some day). My 26G holding tank has the next batch of ACs (3 x 6" monsters) getting ready to go to the LFS.

Think things through before you purchase any more cichlids.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am aware of things. After 12 years in the hobby,I still make an impulse buy from time to time; especially if it's a good deal or something I've been looking for. :lol: I Should have picked up a bigger tank a few years ago.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it is alot of yellow-orange; I'll have to settle for the color of membe & chailosi males.
That's one of the reasons why I was tempted (& still am) to keep the mainganos in place of the labs, that & they're breeding like rabbits :) They're so borderline, if they would just be a little less aggressive - sometimes it's like they know I'm going to sell them off & they show some potential & behave :? . I would rather stocked: maingano, chailosi & membe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts