Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three thermometers that all read different temps. 2 of them are from Petco and the newest one I just picked up from petsmart. they are all in my tank next to eachother, one reads 76, the other 78, and the third 81.

So I actually have no idea what the real temp of the tank is!

Does anyone have a recommendation for an accurate thermometer?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would get a probe thermometer from a restaurant supplier in your area because these can be easily calibrated.

To calibrate the upper range, which is what you would want to do for your use you would place the thermometer into DISTILLED water that is boiling. The temperature should be 112 degrees farenheit.

If you should want to calibrate the lower range, you will need an insulated cup with a lid. A styrofoam cup from a coffee shop would work. Fill the cup with ice made from distilled water, crushed ice is best, then add distilled water to fill the air space in the cup. Put the lid on and pierce a hole through which you will pass the thermometer's probe. Push the probe into the cup of ice water and wait 3 minutes. The temperature should be 32 degrees farenheit.

You could also use these same methods to determine how far off the mark your present thermomters are reading.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I have three ways of monitoring my temperature and don't get consistent readings between all three either. However, my Pentair Aquatics-Rainbow LifeGard Big Digital Temp Alert and my Jehmco controller give readings that are very close to each other. I go by those two. The Pentair wasn't cheap but I read decent reviews of it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
zimmy said:
Pentair Aquatics-Rainbow LifeGard Big Digital Temp Alert.
Are you able to set the upper and lower alarms on this thermometer. I bought something similar, but the upper and lower limits were fixed at somthing like 72 and 78. It was unusable for my purposes because I keep my discus at 84.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
sjnovakovich said:
I would get a probe thermometer from a restaurant supplier in your area because these can be easily calibrated.

To calibrate the upper range, which is what you would want to do for your use you would place the thermometer into DISTILLED water that is boiling. The temperature should be 112 degrees farenheit.
Shouldn't this be 212? It just caught my eye, so I wanted to make you aware. That would make for a wacky calibration!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
When and if you find a thermometer that you feel is correct, you can then look at correcting the ones you have. Looking and working carefully, you may see a way to move the glass tube up or down in whatever holds it. If it is the sealed glass tube, this won't work but for other types, you can move the reading to suit. For a really accurate reading, I find the larger glass types that are about twelve inches long are accurate and stay accurate over longer time but they are also too large to hide. I find a couple degrees off normal is not a big deal as long as it stays steady, the fish adapt.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You can buy 5 thermometers all from the same company and same model and still end up with several different readings. The chance that you will find all readings the same is slim to none. 76-81 degrees they are all within reach of each other.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
There are good reliable thermometer available but they don't fit most of our budgets for hobby use. Look to medical grade or industrial thermometers but be aware that they will not be the $2-3 dollar variety.

·
Registered
220 Posts
DrgRcr said:
sjnovakovich said:

Shouldn't this be 212? It just caught my eye, so I wanted to make you aware. That would make for a wacky calibration!
:? Lousy Typo. Doh!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.