Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking to get some new fish for my 20 Gal tank that has just housed fry from my other fish until they were large enough to sell. I am now looking for ideas of something interesting to put in there.

I have had tons of the different Africans and don't care much for your basic tetras but looking for something that is different enough that they wont be found at a PetCo or Petsmart.

I was thinking of getting a small electric blue jack Dempsey and then when it gets large enough move him to a larger tank but im pretty open to new ideas

Currently houses:

1- 1.5' Clown Pleco
1- 2.5' Daffodil Brichardi (will be removing)

I also have three decent size piece of driftwood in the tank with sand substrate which i would like to keep. ( i love the look)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Eh, that'd be a VERY temporary home for a JD. Like, 2 months max. I wouldn't go that route. I'd do something you can keep in there for their lifetimes... A pair of cons or a pair of rams/pistos. Those will likely kill your pleco, though.

(PS. An 18" pleco and 30" daffodil?!?! :lol: )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from what i was told electric blues grow extremely slow compared to the regular jack Dempseys.

Would the driftwood be ok with the shell dwellers?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Whether they grow fast or slow, what's the point of putting a fish in a tank that small when its max size is fairly close to the tank's width? That's my thinking behind it. I mean, yes, you can do it, but if you'd need another tank for it eventually anyway, why bother using up a 20 for 1 fish?

I'd shy away from the driftwood with shellies. Would work fine with SA's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts