Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never heard of way that I can think of. Most food safe plastics are kinda oily feeling and silicon doesn't stick worth a darn.

Maybe there is something that will stick/attach to the plastic that in turn could be siliconed?

Ideas?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is a link to the thread with pix.

http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name= ... 75703301a3

The container is basically a giant insulated cooler and is apparently designed specifically to transport fish and the guy works for the company that builds it. He is trying to mod it into an aquarium and has run into trouble sealing the glass to the plastic.

Have look if you have the time. He needs help and giant insulated cooler would be pretty darn cool if it works.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
loctite is one of the few glues that will adhere to plastic and glass, but I don't think I'd trust a large surface... I'd also be very worried about the plastic flexing, even a minute amount...

Hopefully someone with more experience can offer more insight than that... :?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
i would go with plexiglass front and use a polyglue that is rated for plastic. it may even be possible to epoxy plexiglass onto the plastic. Do not epoxy glass as it has diff expansion rate and does not flex well, this i learned the hard way :oops:

it may even be possible to drill the plexi and use a natural rubber to pressure seal the front.

loctite is one of the best polyglues, i just do not know if it can work underwater or is potable water safe.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so possiby loctite the **** out of the two mating surfaces to glue the glass to the tank and then once it is set and solid run a good bead of silicone at the junction of the joints on the inside?

http://www.loctite.com is a decent website but unfortunately their product selection script doesn't allow one to choose product based on the material to be bonded. I guess an email to them would be the way to go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've used Loctite to adhere these poly materials. The small repairs I did worked, but on my test pieces I could break to bond. For this aplication I wouldn't trust it and other that some sort of mechanical solution, I'm lost for an answer.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the glass is on the inside of the container so the pressure of the water is pushing it into the material it is bonded to, not away from it.

Nothing real confidence inspiring though eh?

·
Registered
51 Posts
well the glass is on the inside of the container so the pressure of the water is pushing it into the material it is bonded to, not away from it.
If that's the case I might try it. At least it wouldn't be a catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BinaryWhisper said:
I've never heard of way that I can think of. Most food safe plastics are kinda oily feeling and silicon doesn't stick worth a darn.

Maybe there is something that will stick/attach to the plastic that in turn could be siliconed?

Ideas?
If it's oily feeling it's likely a polypropylene or polyethylene blend, but of which are very low surface energy (LSE) plastics. Until recently there were no adhesives that would bond will without first flaming the surface with a torch, which rearranged the molucular stucture of the surface plastic and raises the surface energy.

Scotch-Weld now makes a 2K Structural adhesive that bonds to these materials. I have not had the chance to use it yet.

I doubt it's flexible enough to replace silicone but perhaps you could put down a layer and then put your silicone over that.

I think the Scotch Weld product is DP-8005. There are other products with similar number designations you should also look into.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Silicone won't stick to the plastic, but if you squeeze the sheet against the the plastic part the silicone will work as a gasket. It still might leak though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts