Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first sump up and running last week and I noticed today that there is almost no water movement in the sump at the top of the water. I had to stir it up because it was getting bad. What do you guys do to prevent this? I was thinking of a powerhead maybe two so there wouldn't be dead spots. I'm all out of extra powerheads so I thought I would check with you guys before I buy something tomorrow to fix this problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've got the same dilemma and I'm probably going to setup an air pump and air stone to agitate the surface of the water in the sump a bit. I just need to find an air pump that isn't too noisy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a picture of it. It is roughly 34" wide 24" deep 16" tall. As you can see with the way it is setup I can't really get a divider in there. I was thinking the airpump/bubbles also but wasn't sure if a bunch of bubbles would be pushed into main tanks and possibily mess with the siphon of overflows. :-? :-? :-? I just called the fish store about 30 minutes ago and they are out of maxi-jets and I'm not sure if I want to buy a cheaper powerhead at petsmart or just order one online.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Instead of adding more equipment just to move the water in the sump more, you could redirect a little of the return water with a gate valve to go back into the sump instead of the tank and position this in such a manner as to maximize surface movement in the sump.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tannable75 said:
Instead of adding more equipment just to move the water in the sump more, you could redirect a little of the return water with a gate valve to go back into the sump instead of the tank and position this in such a manner as to maximize surface movement in the sump.
:D :thumb: :D

I will give this a try don't know why I didn't even think to try this. The 3/4 pipe that splits and goes to both filters is already doing this. When I piped it I thought it would be a good idea to have the extra water that my overflow couldn't handle go through the filters. But I think enough water is already going through the filters from the overflows. The line already has a ball valve on it so I will just re-route the pipe down to the surface of the water and see what happens.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moved that extra water flow I had going to the filters to a upside down home made spray bar and it works great. I originally was going to just cap the top of the T but when I kept cap off it seems to be more powerful with the air pushing through it so I just put a couple of 90's on it pointing down just encase and problem solved.

tannable75 I owe you a cold one!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I"ll take it :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts