Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are some of the fish I currently have in my tank. I was looking for help either confirming what I have, or telling me what they are if I don't know.

I just got this guy today, I was told it is a female Brevis.

I also got this guy today, I was told it is a male Brevis.

The fish on the bottom is my supposed male Brevis, but what's the guy up top?

I think the fish on the right is a Kenyi, but I'm not sure. Also, what is the one on the left? I got him from a mixed south African tank.

Is this a Kenyi?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
1. Lamprologus multifasciatus
2. Lamprologus brevis
3. Guy up top... some type of Metriaclima hybrid.
4. Metriaclima lombardoi aka kenyi

There is no way the shell dwellers survive against the Metriaclima once they all become adults. You will need to rethink your stocking.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I guess my LFS has some learning to do, and I need to learn to know what I'm looking for. They had a third shellie, it was a match to one of the ones I've got.. so I'll see if I can take the odd one out and replace it with the same species.

I didn't realize at first that what I have are Kenyi's.. I'll have to see if I can trade them for something that can live with the shellies.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
Looks like your LFS doesn't need to learn anything - they sold you stock and made money. That's what they're there for.
Haha.. good point! Although, they should have known they were selling me two different types of fish. They just attributed their different appearance due to difference in sex.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to the task of catching my fish today to take them in. The Multi was by far the easiest, he went into a shell so I just pulled the shell out with him in it.

The Kenyi, on the other hand.. lets just say I didn't take into consideration having to catch any fish when I built my background. So, there are tons of hiding places. As soon as I put the net in, my tank looked like a ghost town.

But, I made a little fish trap out of two plastic water bottles. So far, I've caught one of the Kenyi. Hopefully the rest of them fall for the trick. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts