Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anyone have any ideas? The two in the first pic were sold as obliquidens, the one in the 2nd pic was sold as electric blue johanni, the one in the third pic was sold as a pearl something. I'm trying to maintain a list of this tank's inhabitants this go around.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
1. The bottom one, yes. The top? Maybe, but poorly bred (the bars).
2. I wouldn't bet that it's a pure johanni. Melanochromis, yes. Species? Don't know. With the vertical stripes as well as horizontal, I want to say hybrid...
3. Probably sold as a perlmutt (Labidochromis "Perlmutt"). But the barring makes me think it's not pure. Is it always blotchy/barred like that?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an f1 obliquidens, he's only slightly bigger, and has more of a blue/white compared to the yellow/green of these fish. He has plenty of yellow and red, and a little blue on his nose. Going to be a very pretty fishy, but I paid much more for him.

The Melanochromis aren't as blue as the pics show.

The barring on the perlmutts(?) is distinct, and they are much more green than the pics show.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
1. Do seem like "Zebra Obliquidens". Unfortunately most of the fish you see now are a far cry from F1... are you saying you have a F1 male "Zebra Obliquiden". Exports are supposed to be rare.

2. Yep, Electric Blue Johanni... some sold may be Maingano but most are hybrids I assume, with the vertical markings and faint color, like yours.

3. I've seen male Perlmutt get a metallic dark (bluish grey tint?) color like that with rather messy vague bars. I got 5 when I first saw them back in the late 90s. 4 turned darker like that and turned out to be males, while the dominant fish was much more white and attractive and turned out to be the sole female. Confusing!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
brinkles said:
I have an f1 obliquidens, he's only slightly bigger, and has more of a blue/white compared to the yellow/green of these fish. He has plenty of yellow and red, and a little blue on his nose. Going to be a very pretty fishy, but I paid much more for him.
noki said:
1. Do seem like "Zebra Obliquidens". Unfortunately most of the fish you see now are a far cry from F1... are you saying you have a F1 male "Zebra Obliquiden". Exports are supposed to be rare.
This fish hasn't been exported for many years. It's thought to be nearly extinct in the wild yet very common in the hobby. I seriously doubt your "F1" is anywhere remotely close to that.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Name these fish! Surely you meen name these fish please? Won't say anything until you say please.

All the best James

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Thanks for the please. 8)
One of your fish is a young Nimbochromis venustus. These guys grow big and may need moving on when bigger from regular tanks.
The true obliquidens sadly does not exist in its natual uncrossed form in the hobby as far as I know http://www.africancichlids.net/articles ... liquidens/
You prob have Astatotilapia latifasciata or a cross of these.
I can also see what I think is a young Protomelas taeniolatus. A adult Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt" and an adult Melanochromis I think may be pure. And a few man made Mbuna guys.
Hate to say it but the yellow lab you have you would have to give me money to give it tank room. :wink:

Quite a good haul from a LFS provided they were real cheap. :wink:

All the best James

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses! I've had small tanks for 25 years, but this is my first large tank, and I'm taking it halfway seriously. I appreciate the help!

Most are from either the $4 or $6 "assorted" bins. I love yellow labs, and I got those before I found good ones. I've had good luck with the small tanks by crowding them with juveniles over a short time span, so I have few dubious quality fish. I'm starting to get more selective now, though. The little red empress were $10, but won't be when they're big!

The fish sold as F1 obliquidens is looking like Astatitialapia Latifasciata, thx for the article on him. I had both names listed, thought it was a name change and not a different fish. He had been in the tank for only hours when I took the pic, looks better this morning. The two I'm curious about are the ones in the first pic that aren't the red empress, venustus, auratus, or red zebra. Maybe just poorly bred/impure female Astatitialapia Latifasciata?

Speaking of which, some fish sold as red zebras have body color fins, others have blue/white fins. Surely one or the other are mutts, or a different fish.

The ones that may be melanochromis kind of have the markings of adult electric blue johanni, but silver underneath with a little red on the edge of the dorsal fin. I agree these may be mutts, too.

There's a breeder local that has some very interesting stock, so I'm going to pick up a few more fish from him. He let me tour the farm, it was quite an interesting experience!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts