Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am not new to having fish, not even this forum. I couldnt get my old account to sign in and my email address isnt valid anymore thats attached to it. Anyway...I decided to fire up my new 75g tank.

I plan on doing a mbuna tank with a few extras but I wanna start slow. Well, anyway. Can anyone please identify this fish please? I dont know my africans that well and I fear it's too young for me to know.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I am new to Africans as well , I had similar fish identified as Metriaclima lombardoi... aka kenyi. Not to sure, like I said I'm new to them too. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose its possible but they had those sectioned off in a different tank...this was a dreaded "mixed" tank.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yep the fish I had identified were from a mixed tank that The gf got on impulse.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
/sigh...

What bothers me is they had a Kenyi tank...a separate one...why would they have them in the mixed one too.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would just take it back. My lombardoi is currently residing in the sump waiting to return to the LFS because it does not play nice with others. It's easier to take back the sooner you have it and before its killed any other fish.

·
Registered
192 Posts
At what size did your Kenyi turn ugly? I have one which I believe is female, about 3 inches, not even a hint of yellow in her. But she is not aggressive like advertised. I'm afraid she's going to turn overnight and I'm going to come home to a tank where 1/2 the fish are dead and she's super aggressive all of a sudden.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Mine "went bad" at 3". After my green Texas nearly killed a pink con I've become proactive with this kind of stuff. It's really heartbreaking when you have to set up a qtank for a fish so injured you just have to pick it up without any fight. Luckily she is happy and healthy now.

The second my male Kenyi started relentlessly chasing fish, that is, when it's no longer than to clear their territory and it's painful to watch, I took him out.

Females are probably much nicer but you should always keep and eye out. It would just suck to get attached to it then it go bad, kill/hurt a fish, then have to get rid of it. When you can just take her back now for some of the same fish you probably bought with this one.

I, too, suffer from LFS only having assorted mixed tanks so I know the difficulty of finding good matches. Best of luck to you!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
They had it in a mixed tank because it was sold to them without a scientific name, possibly a trade-in from a hobbyist, whereas the kenyi tank were sold to them as kenyi.

·
Registered
623 Posts
In my experience, kenyi are no more aggressive than your typical red zebras. I had a breeding group until my red zebra eliminated the male.

All you really need to do is pick appropriate tank mates, provide proper environment and hope you dont end up with the devil out of the bunch.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Seems to me that most LFS sell the more aggressive africans. Not sure if it is because they know you will have to come back for more (deaths) but it seems to always be Kenyis, Red Zebras, Bumblebees and Auratus.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, since it seems like a total 50/50, im not going to jump to taking it back. I can see how it goes. I have several tanks so if it becomes a problem I can always get another one going.

Thank you for everyones response.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts