Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice my six foot tank's bottom panel is raised slightly so that only the tank's sides touch the surface the tank is resting on. In other words, only the tank's perimeter makes contact with the surface it's resting on. My question is how is the bottom glass panel secured? Is this the normal way tanks are constructed? :?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Normal but I can't say what it rests on. Maybe the edge of the tank trim?? Secured the same as the side glass though. Sorry all my tanks have water in them so I can't turn them over! :wink:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Is this the normal way tanks are constructed?
Yes, the middle of the bottom glass doesn't and shouldn't have support underneath. Pressure from the bottom can break the bottom glass. Don't try to suppport it, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'm going to be putting about 500 lbs of rocks in the tank soon and just want to ensure there's no problems.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Just don't do any airdrops! I like to lay some cardboard on the bottom to line it if I'm putting any large awkward rocks in. Lots of small pieces of cardboard so that they can be worked out from under better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Excuse me if i'm being dense but do you put cardboard in the tank or under the tank?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I believe PfunMo is suggesting using cardboard as padding for the "placing rocks" stage and then removing it once the rocks are more or less in place.

kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts