Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Ad's book he states:

"breeding pairs sometimes form large breeding colonies"(93).

Has anybody had a pair of caudos form a colony? I imagine it would be similar to how julies form breeding colonies?

Edit:

The book I am referring to is Back to Nature Guide to Tanganyika Cichlids (Konnings, 2005)

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
I've had groups of six that formed three pairs. But no colonies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have kept Punks for three years.I had a lot of births and still have some fry.
I have never seen punks form in colonies.Just pairs.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I had two breeding pairs in one tank, but never any sign of anything but pair bonding. I had a male try to entice a female away from his partner once, but not successfully. IME these are not colonizers, but who knows when it comes to the lake vs our tanks. Now, my pairs did breed in close proximity, so maybe it appears like a colony in the lake when it's actually just many pairs breeding near each other.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Brichardi types and multies form colonies. Julies don't from colonies, but smaller breeding groups. I recently posted about that here. If you buy 6 julies of the same size, you might get one or several pairs, but I don't think you'd ever get a breeding group. For a breeding group to form, you need fish of different sizes and generations to grow up next to each other in large enough numbers in a large enough tank. Sounds like a worthwhile experiment for you 125G to see what happens with multiple generations of Caudos in a tank that size :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts