Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got some N. caudopunctatus - from a fellow CF member, no less. Thanks Deeda :D

They are beautiful fish, but the other night I switched the light on near the tank in which they are, and found they look totally different at night than during the day. :eek:

They seem to put on a kind of camouflage outfit, and almost look like little venustus! Very cool, but is this normal for N. caudopunctatus? I had never heard about that before.

Night Gown:

Daytime Dress:

·
Super Moderator
40,497 Posts
Yes totally normal. Cool, huh? They also get their stripes when defending fry.

·
Registered
173 Posts
whoda guessed. I have a 2w led light that goes on at night at one end of my 55g tang tank. Some of my fish seem to be more secure there. They go there at night, but are never there in the day. I will guarantee one thing; C. ndobhoi, J. transcriptus bemba kissi, N. leleupi, N. helianthus, and A. comps only darken a little, but you always know who they are.

Again, congrats on your photo work, fish, and now great observation.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Mine "turn on" the bars anytime they are making a threat, especially the males during territory fusses. Its amazing how fast they can make the bars show up and disappear.

·
Registered
189 Posts
BioG said:
Sometimes my wife changes colors when she's mad, It's not as "cool" though! :D :lol:
I think I have one of the same species strain :p

Cool pics though, I have seen them darken up the bars but nothing like this, Punks are a really cool addition to a tank :fish:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts