·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current Tang setup is a 29gal., running for 3 months, with the following:

4 Neolamp. Brichardi
2 Alto. Comp
1 Neolamp. leleupi

All fish are juvie's and m/f ratios are unknown. Recently, the "largest" of the Brichardi's has risen to Tank boss
and is keeping the 2nd largest Brichardi pinned behind the heater full time. The Comp's
don't hide but they stay in the upper part of the tank most likely to avoid the boss as much
as possible. The leleupi and other 2 Brichardi's go about they're business never bothered by
the boss. 2 Questions:
1) Do you agree the obvious solution is to just move the boss to another tank?
or
2) As overstocking Malawi tanks is often practiced to cut down aggression, I've heard/read that this does not work for Tangs. True?

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
This is natural brichardi behavior, they form a pair, spawn and the pair try to kill everything else in the tank including other brichardi.

The usual practice is to keep brichardi in a species tank, removing all but the pair as they drive the others away. Then the pair will populate the tank with their fry and tolerate them.

So I would remove all the brichardi, or else give the pair the tank and remove all other fish.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Harmony and brichardi are not often in the same sentence. :wink:

As Donna said, this is perfectly normal behavior and you can expect dead fish shortly once a brichardi pair forms. Removing the boss will just leave the bully position open for the next brichardi. Adding more fish will likely result in more dead fish.

As with many Tangs, we recommend starting with a group in order to get a pair- that means there are always fish that need to be removed or they will be killed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big thanks to both of you. Will heed your advice and move the pair to their own tank.
And keep a close eye on the remaining 2 brichardi that will still be with my other fish.
I'll be ready to remove them too if need be. Soooo, another good lesson learned today about brichardi. Thanks for being there for so many of us as we "feel" our way around the hobby :)

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
As long as the remaining two are same gender and can't pair up, you may be ok. I removed two that were evicted from my original group to the same tank and they get along fine in their new home. I'm assuming they are both males and why they were evicted. My dominant male in the main tank accepted 3 others that I assume are all females. But, he only seems to spawn with one of the females. Not what I expected at all. I thought I'd be removing four.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
prov356,

You said exactly what I'm hoping will happen....that the remaining 2 Brichardi will be the same gender, not be able to pair up, and will peacefully coexist with the other fish in the main tank. As for your scenario (not what you expected), and from what I see day to day in my tanks, I'm learning to expect the unexpected. But it's fun and that's why it doesn't get boring. Thanks for sharing and your input!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a single Brichardi in my 125G tank. I have a pair of spawning Brichardi in a species only tank. There were originally 5 Brichardi in that tank, but once a pair was formed, they killed the other 3 Brichardis in the tank, then spawned. I was under the impression the Brichardis would coexisit in a group of species only, but as I said, the spawning pair killed off the others. A single Brichardi in the 125G Tanganyikan tank is fine by himself without any other Brichardis. What are others' experiences?

·
Registered
119 Posts
My experience is N. Brichardi are killing machines once they pair up. I started with 6 in a species tank and once two paired up, they killed off the other four one by one. They breed like rabbits, the fry are some of the smallest I have seen when first hatched, the size of pin-heads . But the parents will eventually eat their young.
I have read that Brichardi are wonderful parents and muti-generations will live in harmony together. Don't believe it. They are nasty.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Very Fishy said:
My experience is N. Brichardi are killing machines once they pair up. I started with 6 in a species tank and once two paired up, they killed off the other four one by one. They breed like rabbits, the fry are some of the smallest I have seen when first hatched, the size of pin-heads . But the parents will eventually eat their young.
I have read that Brichardi are wonderful parents and muti-generations will live in harmony together. Don't believe it. They are nasty.
They willl eat there young in a small space. But given a large tank, many of the young make it. Survival of the fittest...

·
Registered
32 Posts
not to hijack the thread im am getting a group of five to try and get a pair and i will house the firs to pair up in a 55 by them selves and the ones that dont in in my 75 and with a couple juvie fronts and calvus pulling out any that get agressive will this work or a bad idea

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SoDakCichlid,

Based on what I see in my tank (2 juvie Comps + 3 Brichardi), with Comps being very similar to Calvus, I'm not sure the Calvus will do well. The Brichardis tend to keep them pushed off at a distance. But I'm talking in my 29gal tank. They may fair better in your bigger tanks. Lets see what others say.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I keep Brichardi in a species tank and I believe this is the only way one can keep them without problems. Once they form a pair they leave nothing alive..

:)

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
My brichardi pair first killed off the other brichs, then bred, then slowly pushed out their territory towards the breeding pair of J. marlieri in the tank. They were good parents in a 55gal.

I'm now growing out some N. helianthus (closely related to brichardi), and I can't keep plecos in the tank. The 2" helianthus attack them within minutes, but haven't begun to pair up yet. So- yeah, species-only tanks for the brichardi complex fish is a really good idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts